News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My phones saved the day, for real!

Started by Nilsog, November 30, 2012, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtp129495

This is really awesome! It's nice to hear WE phones getting real world use these days. Even if only for a short time. A real testament to thier quality!

Nilsog

Central Main Communications was in yesterday to install the new PBX... this one worked. The tech told me it took so long because it was the last one in the United States.

I guess I'll be getting a mention in the Town Manager's weekly news for my quick thinking. Kinda neat.
Ken

Owain

Quote from: Nilsog on December 05, 2012, 01:44:05 PM
Central Main Communications was in yesterday to install the new PBX... this one worked. The tech told me it took so long because it was the last one in the United States.

Let's hope that one doesn't break then, or it'll be a challenge to find bits for it.

Quote from: Nilsog on December 05, 2012, 01:44:05 PM

I guess I'll be getting a mention in the Town Manager's weekly news for my quick thinking. Kinda neat.

And hopefully someone will come forward with a "I've got one of these in my basement - would you like it" offer of something interesting.

DavePEI

With the rush to change over to VOIP, there may soon be a day where they will find they should have retained the old technology. I can just imagine the result of a major EMP event, no matter the cause. Your experience just proves newest isn't necessarily better, and certainly often not as reliable...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

The Vertical website still shows the Comdial DX-120, FX II, and MP5000. I wonder why there are no DX-120s  available.

http://ns1.vertical.com/products-dx-120-ts.html
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Nilsog

Ken

Nilsog

Ken

LarryInMichigan

Phonesrfun

I can't help but think that someone in the public works department who is responsible for the phone system is going to catch Hell from the public and from the bosses for first of all, having a very outdated phone system, and second, for not having a contingency plan.

Ken's quick thinking certainly saved the day, but someone in the technical department should have been more on the ball.

When electronic phone systems and pbx's first came out, it was customary to have an analog (Usually a 500) stored in the back room, ready to plug into the incoming line one in the event of a power failure or a failure of the system itself.  Other times, analog fax machines were also connected to the incoming lines to at least give people a way to answer the phones.
-Bill G

Zipchachacha

Operator, get me the police!

AE_Collector

Since hitting the press and since they decided that it is the last system of this model in use, it is now going to get replaced with something more modern in short order. Since there will soon be an "old phone system" looking for a home and since Ken collects old phone stuff....

I would like to introduce the newest "switcher" to our ranks. Welcome Ken!

Terry

Nilsog

I'm honored!

I'm really surprised by all this. The reporter is coming to my house to interview me and take some pictures... Don't be too hard on me when you see my ugly mug in that article :p
Ken

poplar1

According to the Vertical website, both the main cabinet and the expansion cabinet have
"1 power failure transfer port for the first CO line circuit."

I think the tech was saying the DX-120 he finally brought was the last one available, not the last one in service.

Apparently, most of the new  installations of KSUs  are VOIP-based.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Owain

Quote from: poplar1 on December 07, 2012, 03:39:47 PM
According to the Vertical website, both the main cabinet and the expansion cabinet have
"1 power failure transfer port for the first CO line circuit."

That might be okay for Hicksville Widgets, Inc., but does that mean that 2+ calls to the fire brigade ring out unanswered with no indication of an incoming calls ...

However, the UK has occasional failures of the 999 system, eg
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1039455/bt-network-crash-caused-999-failure

Nilsog

I worked some stuff into the interview that you guys should get a chuckle out of, assuming he uses it. Hopefully I don't come across as an ignoramus!
Ken