News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

hello central wooden wall phone.

Started by upthecreek, February 10, 2015, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upthecreek

I picked this up as a decoration mainly. I'm thinking now that I'd like to get it to work. I bought it at a market for 20$. The guy said it worked until his grandson ripped the ear piece off. I've searched for info on it but I guess my google-foo it's strong in regards to phones. I glued the ear piece back together and stuffed the cord in it to make it look complete. That's it. The tag says it's Hello Central. Serial # 2-83-243. Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings if need be. I've been around a while.  :) Thanks in advance.

It is an oak case. In good condition and fairly attractive

The ear piece just looks like it's one piece. Cord is broken.

Rotary mec feels good...for what that's worth

Thanks for looking.

Tim

HarrySmith

Replacement receivers are available for reasonable prices. How about some pictures of the insides? The wiring to the hookswitch, any components inside such as a network or a coil and the back of the dial.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

upthecreek

Thanks Harry, I will do that tomorrow evening.

TelePlay

And, a couple of pictures of the transmitter, front and back (as best possible) showing any text that may be on the face or cup would be interesting.

upthecreek

Here are a few pictures of the guts.

I can get to the back of the dial without removing it. Out of my comfort zone right now.

The receiver is demolished, looks like two wires go to it

the transmitter has "patented in USA 1910" . I'm under no illusion that this is not a repro.

the ringer

Looks pretty modern to me. I think the case is attractive and will make a decent display. I'd like to get it going if I can get parts. Thanks again for any info.

Tim

Sargeguy

This is a modern reproduction using parts from a 554 wall phone and some reproduction parts.  Have you plugged it in to see if it works yet?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

upthecreek

I haven't plugged it in yet. With the receiver torn up I'm not sure what good plugging it in is going to do me. Won't be no hearing a dial tone. Fellow said it worked till his grandson tore the ear piece up. That's really all I've got. I'm a novice in regards to telephones at best.

HarrySmith

Absolutely, "modern". The 554 base is dated 66 if you want to consider that "modern"! It should work fine once the receiver is replaced.
This is what you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291286657824
All you need to do is remove the 2 wires from the old one and hook up the 2 wires from the new one. I did not do a complete search, you may be able to find one for less, that was the first one I found.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Whether or not the receiver works you should still be able to test whether the phone rings, breaks tone, and if it can dial out.  The receiver should work if you glue/tape it back together, provided all the parts are there.  It's just a question of making sure the wires are connected and the contacts are lined up.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

upthecreek

Thanks sarge, my son is coming in from school this weekend and expressed an interest in seeing if he could talk on it. He'll be on it!

upthecreek

Plugged in and working! Thanks for the help