News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found today - Kjobenhavns Telephone Aktieselskab

Started by shadow67, April 18, 2017, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

Found today at an antique store. They want $95. It has some sort of counter or "odometer" looking device on it and the dial number card is glued on top of another apparently European one.

Victor Laszlo

In the telephone industry, that counter is called a "register."

andy1702

I've seen something very similar to that here in the UK. Some are 1970s repros, but I believe some are quite a bit older and from somewhere in Europe, but I have no clue where, maybe Greece or Portugal. The ones I see are usually off-white though.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Jim Stettler

In the 1950's Bob Prosser of Turtle Lake Telephone inported 1,000's of these phones. I was told he got them for 50 cents each in bulk. 
Most of the "original " phones of this style in the US came from his impoting.  You can also find this style with a combination of old and repro parts. As the pile of phones got smaller, they started making repro parts to compleate them. By the 1970's you could buy this style as a totel repro.

This particular phone appears original.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

shadow67

Thanks for the input. It is an interesting phone. How much do you folks think it is worth?

Jim Stettler

It is hard to find an original old set anymore. If you like it you should buy it.
They will probably give you a  10% discount which makes it $85.50 plus tax.
The price seems fair to me.

In 1983 I paid $66.00 + tax for a nice example. I thought it was a good price.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

andy1702

Quote from: Jim S. on April 18, 2017, 04:04:44 PM
In the 1950's Bob Prosser of Turtle Lake Telephone inported 1,000's of these phones. I was told he got them for 50 cents each in bulk. 
Most of the "original " phones of this style in the US came from his impoting.  You can also find this style with a combination of old and repro parts. As the pile of phones got smaller, they started making repro parts to compleate them. By the 1970's you could buy this style as a totel repro.

This particular phone appears original.
JMO,
Jim S.

Do you know where they came from originally Jim? Portugal or Greece was just an educated guess on my part. If they were bought in bulk in the 50's does that point to them probably dating from the 20s or 30s originally?

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

unbeldi

These were originally made by KTAS in Kopenhagen, or its related entities, and the general design dates back over 100 years. I believe the original type was D08. When the Japanese copied them in the 1970 and 80s, they also used D08 as one of the type designations, among others.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: andy1702 on April 19, 2017, 02:57:10 PM

Do you know where they came from originally Jim? Portugal or Greece was just an educated guess on my part. If they were bought in bulk in the 50's does that point to them probably dating from the 20s or 30s originally?

Andy.

There is photo of the pile of phones. The caption may have the info. I don't know where the photo was published. It may be in Knappens scrapbook. I think Turtle lake telephone is in Wisconsin.   

Jim s.
You live, You learn,

HarrySmith

I had a customer one time who collected these, only the originals. I did some work on them and found dates inside from the 30's. Some of them were very nice, gold plated parts and very nice white silk cords. Definitely well made. I recall being impressed with the wiring, nicely run & laced up. They did not use any lugs, the wire was twisted, formed into any eyelet and wrapped with the cloth insulation to form a very nice attachment point.
BTW - there is photos on here somewhere of the Turtle Lake stash, just search that name.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

Here is an original: http://mini.ptt-museum.dk/telefonmuseet/dk/page0020.html

(you'll need to change the code page to get rid of the graphic characters. I have told them about the problem. It used to be possible to change it in Chrome but Google removed to option because their automatic detection is perfect)

The dial is a licensed Siemens Brothers No 10 with the fingerstop arranged for a Rotary exchange. The number plate is not original.

The call counter requires special support at the exchange and a ground connection - it does not count reversals and it predates 50 Hz and 12 kHz SPM signals.

Jack