"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can I carry a 2500 set on airplane?

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 08, 2013, 07:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

I was wondering if I can bring a 2500 with a metal base, will it pass the carry on people? Or will I get in trouble and have to leave it out?

Thanks,
Ben

poplar1

Just walk through the checkpoint while holding the phone and talking on the handset; they will think it is a cell phone!  (Just kidding.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

I would think not straight through without further hands on inspection. The x-ray image of a phone, from any angle will show the wiring, gongs, battery like coils for the ringer, relays, the network as a square block, etc. Could be construed as a chunk of bad stuff and two batteries. While it's not, I doubt the TSA people see them often enough, if at all, to let it pass without you taking the phone apart to show them it's just a phone, one with a tail some of those TSA people may never have seen in their lives, much less used. Once you show them the insides and take the caps off of the handset, it should be okay. But, don't know. Never tried that. You should get it through but will take longer with disassembly and reassembly.

AE_Collector

Maybe have the base screws out already. I take no end of cords, power supplies, cell phones, GPS unit etc in my computer bag on airlines and haven't been questioned after the x-ray unit....so far.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Ok guys, thanks I will put it in my bag and walk through like its normal...
Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 08, 2013, 08:29:40 PM
Ben

Be sure to let us know what happens, or didn't happen if you have Terry's luck.

AE_Collector

Maybe if you hook one of the battery powered ring generators to it you can get it to ring right as you go through and then take the call and just keep walking.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on June 08, 2013, 08:42:20 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 08, 2013, 08:29:40 PM
Ben

Be sure to let us know what happens, or didn't happen if you have Terry's luck.

What do you think I would do with it if it doesn't pass??

TelePlay

It should pass regardless.

Worst case scenario is you are going to have to open it up and take off the handset caps.

If you have Terry's luck, they will recognize what it is in the x-ray machine and you will go straight through without hands on examination.

But, you may not be able to take the screwdriver on with you so as Terry said earlier, make sure the base screws are already loose, and maybe, use rubber bands to keep it together in your bag.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on June 08, 2013, 09:50:04 PM
It should pass regardless.

Worst case scenario is you are going to have to open it up and take off the handset caps.

If you have Terry's luck, they will recognize what it is in the x-ray machine and you will go straight through without hands on examination.

But, you may not be able to take the screwdriver on with you so as Terry said earlier, make sure the base screws are already loose, and maybe, use rubber bands to keep it together in your bag.

Don't have a screwdriver but I'm sure I can find something. Once before we unpaced I used a measuring cup handel. Thanks for the ideas!

TelePlay

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on June 08, 2013, 11:46:09 PM
Even a dime would work . . .

Humf, that didnt work... I tried a total of 5 different things.

Ben

AE_Collector

I still don't see why you can't arrive there with the screws out of it already to show them. That may get you through quicker as it would be obvious that there is nothing you are trying to hide.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 09, 2013, 11:31:50 AM
I still don't see why you can't arrive there with the screws out of it already to show them. That may get you through quicker as it would be obvious that there is nothing you are trying to hide.

Terry

Remember, I can't get the screws out.. But if the want to see inside they can if they lend me a screwdriver.
Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 09, 2013, 11:21:24 AM
Quote from: TelePlay on June 08, 2013, 11:46:09 PM
Even a dime would work . . .

Humf, that didnt work... I tried a total of 5 different things.

Ben

I doubt the TSA will give you anything other than grief.

I really don't have any 2500s except one made in China and it has a Phillips and slotted screw combination and a dime is too thick for that screw. A dime works on 302s and TP-6-As (didn't pull out a rotary 500 but I think those are the same screws).

You could take a throw away screw driver with you and leave that with the TSA if they want it after you take the phone apart and put it back together.

Or do as Terry suggested and have the screws out before screening and loose during the whole trip.