News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Compatible Transmitter and Receiver Elements - E1 & F1

Started by Fennec, December 22, 2016, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fennec

I am wondering what are upgrade possibilities for receiver and transmitter elements in WE E1 and F1 handsets?

It is my understanding that for E1 I can use:

Receiver: 557B -> HA1 -> ?
Transmitter: E1 (bullet) -> F1 -> T1 -> ?

Does this look correct? What about F1 handset?

On the same token - are there any good ways to clean/refurbish elements, taken from "barn fresh" handsets, without the danger of ruining them?

poplar1

The 395B "bullet" transmitter of the E1B handset was replaced by the 625A transmitter, which has an F1 transmitter unit, as early as 1934. The new configuration was known as the E1E handset.

The 557B receiver, used on both E1B and E1E handsets, was never upgraded to a newer model.

F-type handsets were sometimes upgraded to a BA type, which had a HC5 receiver unit and an F1 transmitter unit.

The F4 originally an F1 transmitter unit and a U-1 receiver unit. Later F4s had a T1 transmitter unit and a U-1 receiver unit.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fennec

Quote from: poplar1 on December 22, 2016, 10:27:52 PM
The 395B "bullet" transmitter of the E1B handset was replaced by the 625A transmitter, which has an F1 transmitter unit, as early as 1934. The new configuration was known as the E1E handset.

The 557B receiver, used on both E1B and E1E handsets, was never upgraded to a newer model.

F-type handsets were sometimes upgraded to a BA type, which had a HC5 receiver unit and an F1 transmitter unit.

The F4 originally an F1 transmitter unit and a U-1 receiver unit. Later F4s had a T1 transmitter unit and a U-1 receiver unit.

Thank you, this helps. This is as far as factory configurations are concerned, correct? What about a physical/electrical fit though? That is - what are the most recent elements that can be retrofitted into an E and F sets respectively, that would result in a better transmission clarity and receiver gain? Possibly something along the lines of T1 transmitter element in an E1/F1 handset using a spacer:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/t1-transmitter-f-handset-adapter.html

Jim Stettler

That is the factory spacer. It will fit all the F handsets. There is a GF handset that takes the G-type transmitter w/ adaptor , It  takes a "G" style receiver element. for more information check under the 5302 sets .

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

If your E1 already has a 625A transmitter, which is designed for an F1 transmitter unit, then you could use a T1 transmitter unit along with the spacer ring.

You could also install a T1 unit inside an F1 handset by using the spacer ring.

For the receiver:
There's no way I can think of to upgrade the 557B receiver on an E-type handset, unless you want to remove the existing diaphragm and coils. You would then install an LB1 Trimline receiver inside the repurposed receiver casing.

It's much easier to install an LB1 receiver in an F1 handset. If you are "borrowing" the LB1 from a Trimline, then also install the black rubber spacer from the Trimline. (Installing a U1 or U3 receiver would require enlarging the receiver cavity in the handset handle.)

However, if you are planning to use T1 transmitter units, or U1/U3 or LB1 receivers, remember that these are designed for use with a 500-type network. If you are planning to use them with a 302, or 684A subset, or 634 subset, then the sidetone will probably be too high. (This was a problem when 5302s were issued with G1 handsets, when they were installed on short loops.) So you might want to replace the 101A induction coil with a 425-type network (or equivalent), the type used in 500s.

Ktownphoneco

If you decide you want to try replacing either the "F1" transmitter, with another "F1" cartridge, or with a "T1" with an adapter, they're available at old phone works in Kingston, Ont.   Here's the link :  (1 ) http://www.oldphoneworks.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
and (2) http://www.oldphoneworks.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

They have some "new old stock" F1 cartridges, which I've used and found to be just fine.      But it's important to remember that the emphasis in the term "new old stock", is the word "old".      It's always possible for moisture to find it's way into the carbon compartment while they sit for years in storage, causing the granules to clump together and reduce the efficiency of the cartridge.    The "T1" cartridges are fairly new and less likely to have moisture inside.

Jeff Lamb

Fennec

OK, all info is definitely helping, thank you. Insofar as my E1 set - it seems to have a 625A transmitter, fitted with an F1 element (1239T, 1/38), so this should be relatively easy to get an element for. Receiver is indeed 557B, and the diaphragm has some corrosion, as well as one small bent on the very edge.

Two followup questions on this one:

a) Provided I somewhat straighten the bent area (about 2 mm square, or 5/64" ) and clean up the rust (ex. with naval jelly) - would this improve the sound?
b) Failing that - can someone suggest a source for a replacement diaphragm?

Jack Aman

I have three "daily drivers" with E1 handsets.   As I use these sets every day I am more concerned with function than historical accuracy and have retrofitted all three with modern receiver capsules.  It does involve completely removing the magnet and diaphragm apparatus from the receiver "cup" of the E1.  I do have E1 receiver cups and receivers on hand so I could put the E1's back to their "correct" configuration if I wanted to.  The improvement in sound quality over the tinny sound of the magnet and diaphragm is enormous.  I have likewise replaced several F1 transmitters with a simple amplified electronic transmitter with a tiny modern microphone.  Again, the period look is intact but the modern transducers vastly improve transmission quality.

poplar1

Quote from: Fennec on December 24, 2016, 10:16:46 PM

b) Failing that - can someone suggest a source for a replacement diaphragm?

Perhaps Steve Hilsz has some diaphragms for 557B receiver:
http://navysalvage.com/

Of course, Western Electric's solution was to replace the E-type handset with an F-type.

andre_janew

I have an ITT receiver in one of my 500 sets that has a rubber ring around it to make it fit better in the G type handset.  I will attempt to post a picture or pictures of it.

andre_janew

I've recently been told that the above receiver is what is used in the Trimline.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

markosjal

With ony slight modification, you can also use an 81 type (I think) transmitter. You can also use an adapter ring to use the transmitter for a WE G handsetin an F handset
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Key2871

I have seen those L type used in G handsets with the adapter ring. Mostly in ITT sets.
I still prefer the U for quality of sound and longevity.
KEN