"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Princess wired with X-Tel retrofit dial

Started by RotoTech99, December 21, 2018, 08:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I've been experimenting with using replacement tone dials like the ones that were and most likely available through telephone parts suppliers... I've been using mainly SC 35A1 and 35A11 dials; with both the grey and off white buttons.

My latest one is a WE 2702BMG I've done... As I didn't have a WE 35 dial for a Princess, I used the XTel tone dial I had set back; I'm not familiar with the XTel dial,  or who made it; but as long as it was functioning, I had a use for it.

Here's how I wired it into my  Princess:  Orange/Black to C,  Red/Green to C,  White/Blue to 5, Green/Red to F.

I've attached a photo of the Princess with the dial in place; it resembles a WE CS2702.  The second photo is slightly off in color due to a improper flash setting. Eventually, if I get a WE Princess dial,  I might change it out, but for now I'm glad it worked as I wasn't familiar with it,  and unsure how to wire it.  Admittedly,  I was a bit nervous as I worried I'd either short out the network or the dial,  but as it dialed ok,  boy was I relieved.

Comments gladly welcomed.

compubit

How does the cover fit over the dial -it looks "bigger" than the case would be (but that could also just be the picture).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

RotoTech99

Dear  Compubit:

It fits inside the housing rather well; I think the dial brackets are slightly misaligned,  but the dial fits nicely.

I wish there was a keypad similar to that that would imitate the ability to allow the buttons to be lit by the dial light the way the original Princess dial was though; that would make for a neat retrofit.

In the morning,  I'll post a picture of it with the housing in place; I lost the original self tapping screws,  so I'll have to check a hardware store and find a couple... They wouldn't be the "AT&T" supplied screws,  but if they fit in the holes in the base,  and secure it without causing the posts to split internally,  they'll do; the housing is the kind without threaded brass inserts.

RotoTech99

Key2871

I have seen a place that sells old 702 dials, I think it was ericophon.com. Richard Rose's page. I haven't been there for a while but I do recall seeing them. They weren't cheap, but they were the exact dial, with translucent buttons. I've never seen anything that would match the old western dials anywhere else.
KEN

RotoTech99

Hello,  yes I've seen the Princess  original TT dials Richard has on his site;  $18-$20 with shipping is a good deal for that.

I'll have to plan a bit budget wise,  but that would be a good way to get that dial.

The rarest problem I've encountered is sometimes the spade tip isn't in good shape where the insulated wire goes into it,  but since I have sm. gold spade lugs,  it's an easy fix.   I've seen that problem with WE tone dials,  and leads inside WE phones.

Usually though,  if the wire itself is largely good,  I can just remove the old lug where insulation is bad,  and crimp a new lug on.

I get my lugs through Phoneco; 100 for around $10 which I think is pretty good,  although I wish they were pre separated,  and not in a "strip" as they came from the supplier,  but 100 for $10 is a good deal.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Compubit:

Attached are the photos of my Princess with the XTel dial in place with the housing in place.

As I mentioned,  I don't have the original self tapping screws,  so I will have to live Cate some that will fit... I'm beginning to find that is the best option when you can't get or find the original screws.

RotoTech99

Key2871

Spade lugs on phones have always been a problem. The wire beaks off most times, but I use the crimper originally sold at radio shack, then saw them at sandman.com they sell along with the Spade ends. Simple and quick these were fantastic for fixing ends, I used to solder before I found the crimper.
And I must have been looking at another site, at princess dials. Because the price I saw was in the hight twenty range.
You are right, the lower twenty is very good.
KEN