"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3.75x20 Double 1921 Bell Telephone sign

Started by rfkimba, November 21, 2017, 01:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi  Collectors:
I was recently offered this sign  for $225. Somehow I couldn't find any photos of a  similar one during  my hurried comparable search through various references.
By the time I exhaled it was gone .
Does anyone  else have one as I thought it was uncommon.
With Regrets,
Bob Farber ATCA, TCI

Payphone installer

Origanal is not common problem is it was a highly reproed sign and the repros look good.

Fabius

Never seen this sign, which may or may not mean something. Bells look too big for the sign? Looks like someone used the common '39 Bell sign of this type as a model.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Looks like a #26 sign

Oops, I was just looking at this post on my phone and only saw Fabius' response (I thought he was crazy).  Now I see Bob's part it makes sense. 

I have never seen that sign before.  First impression is that it is a fantasy piece. Closer inspection is needed.  Note the "Property of Telephone Company" sticker and notation in grease pencil.  Any provenance?  It could be a rejected prototype.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rfkimba

Hi Collectors,
Dave Martin had this listed for sale in the November ATCA newsletter classified section . I'm sorry I didn't snatch it.
Looks authentic to me .
Bob Farber

Fabius

Quote from: rfkimba on November 21, 2017, 03:12:53 PM
Hi Collectors,
Dave Martin had this listed for sale in the November ATCA newsletter classified section . I'm sorry I didn't snatch it.
Looks authentic to me .
Bob Farber

Dave Martin is a long time collector who I bought signs from in the distant past.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rfkimba

Hi Friends,

If I was ready to buy may confirm it was a reproduction!
See Tom you may have been saved some more charitable identification effort!

A Good Thanksgiving to all

Regards,
Bob Farber

Payphone installer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-BELL-TELEPHONE-PHONE-BOOTH-Vintage-Look-Replica-Metal-Sign-BIRD-NESTING/282728830543

?hash=item41d3f3964f:g:814AAOSwySlaBdik

Here is a good picture of the real sign.

Payphone installer

yep and I did not build it big enough. I have added a lot of signs since last time I did pics. Here is a cool one I forgot about.