News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No Dialtone 554 AB Bell

Started by bbaker1332, July 18, 2017, 03:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbaker1332

I have purchased a 1968 554 AB. Telephone has no dial tone when I hook it up as recommended in your forums. I was hoping to get some direction for testing and repair.

The red ringer wire also goes to L2 on the network (as noted above)
Black ringer wire goes to L1 on the network
Slate (gray) ringer wire goes to terminal K on the network
Slate/red ringer wire goes to terminal A on the network

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter

TelePlay

First, welcome to the forum.

Now, is your line cord 2 conductor (red and green) or 3 (red, green and yellow) and if 3 conductor, to which terminal on the network is the yellow attached.

I picture of the network terminals would also help.

Victor Laszlo

There could be any number of reasons why you are not hearing the dial tone. To begin to trouble shoot you will need some simple test equipment and an understanding of how the phone works.

Do you have any tools like a repairman's butt-set? An analog volt-ohm meter? If you have another G-type handset, and a pair of test leads (wires with alligator clips at each end) you can do a few tests that one would normally do with a butt-set.

Here are a few things that might be causing the problem, other than wiring, which we assume you can figure out by reading the BSP for a phone of that type:

Switch hook contacts defective, out of adjustment, dirty.

Dial off-normal contacts not open when dial is at rest. Dial pulse contacts open.

Defective handset cord, or receiver unit.

Your description of the ringer lead placement seems to be accurate, but they play no part in the speech circuit of the telephone.  Do you have the incoming line wires connected to L1 and L2?

poplar1

With the phone hung up (receiver on the hook): Does the phone ring on incoming calls?

With the receiver off the hook, is the line busy if you call it from your cell phone?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.