News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 557A PBX

Started by SparksNArcs, February 06, 2023, 12:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SparksNArcs

Quote from: G-Man on February 06, 2023, 04:07:56 PMI suspect that Sarah and the crew at the Connections Museum would have extensive documentation and needed components including power supplies and dial brackets at their fingertips, etc., but perhaps not. Otherwise it would save you the cost of today's expensive shipping.

I imagine they do, but as I'm a relatively new member and still need to prove my worth; I didn't want to start asking for things for my personal collection. There are cheap solid state ringing module options on Ebay, so I may get one of those. I'll ask the volunteers if they have any spare equipment for sale the next time I'm there.

HarrySmith

IIRC that looks like what I have. I will dig them out in the next couple of days to check. If it is the correct one just pay postage and it is yours.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SparksNArcs

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 06, 2023, 05:10:19 PMIIRC that looks like what I have. I will dig them out in the next couple of days to check. If it is the correct one just pay postage and it is yours.

You are a scholar and a gentleman, thank you!

HarrySmith

OK. I found it! There is 2 other parts that I think might go with it. I am not sure. See pictures. Somone will know what they are.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 08, 2023, 07:23:00 PM
OK. I found it! There is 2 other parts that I think might go with it. I am not sure. See pictures. Somone will know what they are.
Harry-

He hasn't posted a detailed photo of his but I believe he already has all of the parts that are shown in your photo with the exception of the 25-type mounting bracket that is shown in the jpeg that I posted earlier in this thread and is shown in a red rectangle .

Also, there is a  threaded pin that retains the dial cup to the bracket but I suspect that it may not be in your stash. ISTR that it was made of stainless steel and may remind some of a headless screw.

If I can remember, I will take a photo of one of my switchboards and post it here. If you are unable to locate one, then he can make do with a similar size of steel rod.

G-Man

Here is another jpeg that shows the bracket within a red rectangle.

I also drew a blue line through the dial cup to show the location of where the headless retaining screw goes.

HarrySmith

OK. I misundestood. I thought all he had was the dial and needed the mount. I do not have that other part, only what is pictured. Sorry!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 08, 2023, 08:51:08 PMOK. I misundestood. I thought all he had was the dial and needed the mount. I do not have that other part, only what is pictured. Sorry!
Harry-

You stepped up to the plate as you usually do to help a fellow collector in need, so there is no need to be sorry!

Thank you again for setting a sterling example of selflessness for the rest of us to follow!

SparksNArcs

It totally slipped my mind to get another photo of the dial assembly; will do that after work. Thanks for digging through your stash for me!

HarrySmith

YW.
It does not look like it would be difficult to make something to replace that bracket. Other than the electrical connections which can probable be bypassed with some longer wires.
Just thinking out loud ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SparksNArcs

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 09, 2023, 02:40:00 PMYW.
It does not look like it would be difficult to make something to replace that bracket. Other than the electrical connections which can probable be bypassed with some longer wires.
Just thinking out loud ;D

I work in a machine shop, so I'd better be able to come up with something, or my boss'll be disappointed in me! The dial also has a set of wires coming out of the bottom, seemingly to bypass the contacts.

HarrySmith

From what I saw on the parts I pulled out the dial connects to the terminals on one side of the mount and apparently the other side of the mount connects to the bracket.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SparksNArcs

For future reference, here are the mounting points for a dial on the 557A, and presumably most other WECo PBXs. The right two screws are hiding threaded inserts in the desktop, and the left screw is just a hole plug; the wiring passes through this hole.

Also included a picture of my dial base, which I need to pop open, as it seems to have the contacts on the bottom bypassed with a length of cable.

HarrySmith

Thanks for the pics. I guess those wires are what I mentioned to bypass the connections on the bracket.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Quote from: SparksNArcs on February 09, 2023, 03:59:19 PMI work in a machine shop, so I'd better be able to come up with something, or my boss'll be disappointed in me! The dial also has a set of wires coming out of the bottom, seemingly to bypass the contacts.
Yesterday I went out to one of my storage areas and took photos of a 25-type mounting bracket that is installed on a WECo toll-testboard.

Aside from being very dusty, it should provide you with a better perspective if you decide to fabricate one yourself.

I also looked for loose dial mounts and brackets but wasn't successful (I know they're somewhere), however I did find a pleasant surprise when I came across about a half-dozen coin collectors that I had forgotten about long ago!