News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Advice wanted for painting Western Electric Metal 302 and F1 handset

Started by spooge, May 08, 2017, 10:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooge

Hello, I have a black Metal Western Electric 302 with black F1 handset. I would like to restore / paint it red. I have read that a lot of people use Polane paint for this with success, but I was wondering if any members here could offer advice based on your experiences?

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome to the forum!

Polane paint isn't used much for restoration, as it's very expensive (several hundred dollars for one gallon of Polane).

However, there are alternatives. Many here like me have used regular Rustoleum spray paint that can be found at Walmart or Home Depot, with great results. For the housing, you could always send it somewhere to be powdercoated, which is far tougher than regular paint, but you would need to find another alternative for the handset...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

mentalstampede

I have never tried to paint bakelite, but on metal parts I have had good luck with spray-can enamel. Proper prep of the surface is key, and enamel takes a very long time to cure, so expect to avoid protracted handling of the parts for several weeks at least if possible.

My advice on painting phones however, is don't do it unless the existing finish is in poor condition. A little bit of time with a polishing cloth will generally work wonders.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Dan/Panther

Metal parts I use Krylon, or Rustoleum, but then I will bake it at 160 degrees for 15 to 30 minutes. The paint gets very smooth.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson