News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Some of my Radios

Started by soundsystems, February 27, 2021, 09:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soundsystems

Here are pictures of a few of my radios.  I've been collecting them for about 30 years, and they are as "addictive" as telephones!  I have well over 100 restored radios in my collection.  It is important to keep the restorations as original as possible.  If any of you need parts or tubes, I may be able to help!  I also have some "surplus" radios that I would be willing to sell.

RB

WOW!!!
That's all I can say...
and you restore them too!
Gonna keep your contact info close.
Thanks for sharing.
Those look amazing!

Pourme

~

I agree, what wonderful pieces!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

soundsystems

Thanks, guys!  My Dad was a radio and TV repairman back in the day, so I grew up learning the craft.  Here are a few more pictures.  By the way, my wife actually likes radios and telephones!  :)

Key2871

That's awesome, to have a wife that likes those old radios, and telephones.. She's a keeper for sure. A rare find. Congrats on a very nice collection.
KEN

FABphones

The phones and radios display nicely together. I really like those old microphones too. Have you tried them out?

Really interesting rooms with some nice pieces, and great that you grew up being able to fix these and keep them working.

(Bet you've got a nice early tv tucked away someplace there too......)

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: soundsystems on February 27, 2021, 08:35:26 PM
Thanks, guys!  My Dad was a radio and TV repairman back in the day, so I grew up learning the craft.  Here are a few more pictures.  By the way, my wife actually likes radios and telephones!  :)
Beautiful displays. you should be very proud! I thought my wife was understanding letting me have my own room, you hit the jackpot my friend....Doug
Kidphone

Scott

Super collection. Thanks for sharing.

Scott K.

Key2871

Looking at those old radios really brought back memories of many of those in my grand parents houses.
My mom's father had a bunch of the old tall type as well as the table top cathedral style and others.
He really enjoyed listening to the radio.
KEN

soundsystems

Thanks for all of the kind words! I'm still not allowed to have them everywhere, but there are two rooms in our house that are used expressly for the collection. My workshop is a mess right now, as I am unboxing a couple of buyouts from 10+ years ago. I was buying "left and right" at the time, since we retailed phones and radios at a local antique store.  I never expected the market to dry up so quickly, and the store was unable to stay open, so I was left with a great surplus of radios, phones and parts.  Thank goodness for this forum, eBay and Facebook...  Because of them, I have been able to sell quite a few items in recent months.

Key2871

In your avatar, is that a picture of you trying to find out what happens if you stick a knife in the outlet?
Reminds me of when I was 5 or 6, and I pulled the plug out of the outlet for the stereo, and wondered what the two brass prongs did? I touched, and didn't do that again, ever. Shocking! Lol.
KEN

soundsystems

I found that image online, and it reminded me of myself when I was that age!  I received a couple of good jolts back in the day.  I can remember getting jolted by ring voltage, as well!

Key2871

Lol, me as well, in my early days in telephone work, I was working in my friends house, the wiring was a mess. I was working in the line and it rang, wow I let go fast. My friend said what happened? I said did the phone just ring? He said yea, it was my grandmother.
I laughed and said she shocked the h#ll out of me.
He said really? I said heck yea when the ring signal is sent down the line its a healthy voltage enough to kill if I were working outside, I'd be on the ground.
KEN

19and41

That is a great collection!  I'd like to get one of those Jefferson Golden Hour clocks.  Every one in my price range is burned up.  :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

oldguy

amazing collection. My oldest boy, 37 now, tried to make an electromagnet out of a u bolt when he was about 5. lots of sparks & a tripped breaker but nobody hurt. The U bolt didn't have quite enough resistance ;D ;D
Gary