News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dot on Dial Faceplate - Anyone Know Why?

Started by RDPipes, June 30, 2022, 08:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I seen this on eBay, on a Ivory 302 and was wondering why that Dot on the face plate.
I've never seen that before, not that I've seen everything. Anyone know why or have a educated guess?

rdelius

Those dots are on the plates that only fit a #6 dial  if I remember right

RDPipes

Okay then, now I'm confused.
I thought that the only dials that will fit the early clear finger wheels were the 5J's
Did I misunderstand that or am I missing something again.

TelePlay

#5 on the left, #6 on the right.

The dials are the same diameter, the optical illusion of the #6 being larger is because it is thicker, sits higher on the bench so is closer to the camera.

RDPipes

I reckon you didn't understand my question. I read HERE that the WE 5J was the only dial that would accept the early clear finger wheels......unless there was some sort of special adapter which are not easy to come by.

If this is true It puzzles me why then a #6 dial is shown with a old style clear finger wheel if the DOT on the face plate means it's a #6 dial.

HarrySmith

I have had other dials other than 5J with the clear open center fingerwheels. I do not recall what dials exactly but there was more than one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

I thought the question was "why the dot" and not about finger wheel mounts.

The number plate sits between the finger wheel and the dial case and they are mounted differently. The "dot" indicates the number plate only fits the #6 dial, the back side of all WE dials show the dial type in stamped ink. Number plates were interchangeable on a dial for different reasons.

The finger wheel mount for a metal wheel is different than a plastic wheel. How and where the plastic mount was installed is a new, and open, question I can't answer.

I suspect the "J" designation meant a plastic finger wheel mount. Don't know.

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 01, 2022, 07:55:21 AMI have had other dials other than 5J with the clear open center fingerwheels. I do not recall what dials exactly but there was more than one.

Thank you Harry!

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on July 01, 2022, 08:09:17 AMI thought the question was "why the dot" and not about finger wheel mounts.

The number plate sits between the finger wheel and the dial case and they are mounted differently. The "dot" indicates the number plate only fits the #6 dial, the back side of all WE dials show the dial type in stamped ink. Number plates were interchangeable on a dial for different reasons.

The finger wheel mount for a metal wheel is different than a plastic wheel. How and where the plastic mount was installed is a new, and open, question I can't answer.

I suspect the "J" designation meant a plastic finger wheel mount. Don't know.

It was but, when you stated the Dot meant it was a #6 dial it confused me because I read somewhere here that the #5J was the ONLY dial that would take a early/open center clear finger wheel. And it having a clear open center finger wheel was confusing if it were a #6 dial. Obviously what I read was either wrong or I misunderstood. Probably the later because that's what old guys do, LOL!

TelePlay

I know at least poplar1 can explain the finger wheel mounts, maybe some other long time collectors as well.

RDPipes

No that's quite alright sir, I think it was his post I read and must have misunderstood.
I'll try finding it again and reread it. Maybe 2nd times a charm, LOL!

HarrySmith

I have always had a problem trying to figure out which fingerwheel mounts on which dial with which attachments, so now I got a bunch of fingerwheels and just match them up. If the dial does not have one I try them all until one fits. Hopefully someone will have an explanation.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

I know they take different mounting hardware then the standard metal finger wheels. I'm just curious because I have a phone (prewar WE302) that I'm going to paint Red and I wanted to know which dials will accept the adapter (to use different terminology) so I can use a open center clear finger wheel on it. It is for me and NOT for resale so as far as being authentic it doesn't matter, besides I have another prewar 302 in original condition.
Now to find a clear open center finger wheel.

TelePlay

If you haven't seen this compilation of 302 and D1 refurbs, scroll down to find this info on dial finger wheel types. Lot of good info in that reply.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.0

As you know, open vs closed and early or later open have differences.