"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ingraham ET912 THIN Mantel Clock Stops

Started by Doug Rose, April 01, 2023, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is a beautiful Mantel clock, very thin, 1.5"

It keeps time but has begun to just stop. It has a start lever in the back. It is becoming harder to restart with the start lever. It hums and when you engage the lever just starts and stops.

Sometimes it will run for a few days, others a few hours. Any tips?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Oil motor! There are several ways depending on the type of motor.
Can you get a photo of the motor?
Someone has used the wrong tool (probably pliers) also to open this clock up a few times, I suggest a nut driver if you have that size.

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDPipes on April 01, 2023, 10:01:00 AMOil motor! There are several ways depending on the type of motor.

thanks Ron....I went down to the work bench after I posted this. I opened it up and oiled the motor.

It started first time and was so silent I didn't realize it was running  ;D
If I have to open again, I will get pics of the motor.

I just think this is so cool looking.

Thanks for your help!......Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 01, 2023, 11:38:35 AMthanks Ron....I went down to the work bench after I posted this. I opened it up and oiled the motor.

It started first time and was so silent I didn't realize it was running  ;D
If I have to open again, I will get pics of the motor.

I just think this is so cool looking.

Thanks for your help!......Doug

Not a problem, was happy to be of help.
I have a lot of vintage electric clocks in the house and always have, so it was imperative
to learn how to maintain them a long time ago and since then I have never had to replace
or toss one.
Hope you used a light oil like what we use for our dials.

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDPipes on April 01, 2023, 11:57:46 AMHope you used a light oil like what we use for our dials.
I have used Marvel Mystery Oil on my dials for as long as I can remember.

Only oil I have on the workbench for telephone work..Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 01, 2023, 12:25:56 PMI have used Marvel Mystery Oil on my dials for as long as I can remember.

Only oil I have on the workbench for telephone work..Doug

I know of it but, have never used it, I reckon as long as it's thin enough it'll be okay.
3 in 1 and such others are not recommended really because they tend to get gummy specially with the added heat of an enclosed electric motor like used on clocks.I use a very thin oil that comes in those pin/needle oilers that many use for fishing reels.

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 01, 2023, 12:25:56 PMI have used Marvel Mystery Oil on my dials for as long as I can remember...

Re using the mystery oil on clocks, I did read this:

'...never use anything except clock oil on clocks. It is specially formulated to stay in place, not evaporate, and function with slow moving parts'.

Having just read a bit about it not an oil I would want to use apart from as specified on the label, does the label say anything about the type/grade of oil it contains. I read that part of the 'mystery' is that no one knows exactly what is in it.

Last image below shows the box of oils and grease I have. A good oil is a good investment and not difficult to obtain.

Sounds like your clock needs a good clean, find a good clock/watch repair shop in your locale. Research a bit online too.

https://mb.nawcc.org/search/2263602/?q=Clock+oil&t=post&c%5Bthread%5D=83996&o=relevance

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Marvel Mystery Oil is an oil enhancement and fuel treatment, not really a lubricating oil at all.
I must admit I do use a 3 in 1 type of oil for dials and clocks, which probably isn't strictly the right stuff but I've never had any issues with it. The bottle I currently have came from Poundland and is a very thin oil. I think the main things are that the oil needs to be a thin one and you only need to use tiny quantities of it. It only needs to have a microscopic layer of oil on the rubbing surfaces so if it looks oily then you have used too much.

Doug Rose

When I first started collecting, an old timer (which I am now) at the Flea Market showed me how to fix a stuck dial using Marvel Mystery oil. He stated it was the best, of course his opinion.

I have been using it for 40 plus years and it works great. Always purchased at a yard sale or Flea Market.

I have a friend who swears by Wesson oil. Truth.

I guess whatever works for you. After 40 years, I will not be changing as it works for me. Plus I have a supply..  8)

Just my humble opinion.

Clock has been running for a day sitting on my work bench and started first time. We shall see..Doug
Kidphone