Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 03, 2023, 01:50:05 PMOr send it to Steve ;D

There must be an echo in here but, no ones listening, LOL!

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on January 03, 2023, 01:17:24 PMSo how do you repair a frozen clutch?

I took that question as asking how it's done by a hobbyist who may want to learn how to, to enjoy doing it themselves (what this forum has been about going all the way back to 2008 http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0), or not and let someone else do it. Otherwise I would not have taken the time to write that "how to" reply.

Everyone knows Steve does it for $6, that's the echo for sure.

HarrySmith

Hence the smiley  ;D

I used your great post on dial repair the one time I did attempt it myself, easy with step by step instructions.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on January 03, 2023, 02:53:36 PMI took that question as asking how it's done by a hobbyist who may want to learn how to, to enjoy doing it themselves (what this forum has been about going all the way back to 2008 http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0), or not and let someone else do it. Otherwise I would not have taken the time to write that "how to" reply.

Everyone knows Steve does it for $6, that's the echo for sure.

My statement was in fun only and not intended for any other purpose.
And I wasn't aware that everyone knew about Steve.

Contempra

Quote from: TelePlay on January 03, 2023, 12:23:35 PMSounds like a frozen governor clutch. The clutch spring becomes frozen to the governor flywheel shaft.

Always glad to help members evaluate and then do stuff with their phones during restoration.

Thank you TelePlay You and the other guys here are very smart . I will try later when I have more free time , to recheck it . For now, the entire phone serves me as spares. I already had a 302 which worked perfectly, but the handset cord was bad, so I changed the cord.

Contempra

Firstly, it would cost me too much to send my dial to the USA, secondly, that I turn the fingerwheel to the right, the governor turns easily and it returns just as easily, I have the inpression that it must be the central shaft ( hand gear )

poplar1

Quote from: Contempra on January 03, 2023, 08:30:24 PMFirstly, it would cost me too much to send my dial to the USA,

Forum member ktownphoneco also restores dials. He is in Ontario

Quote from: Contempra on January 03, 2023, 08:30:24 PMsecondly, that I turn the fingerwheel to the right, the governor turns easily and it returns just as easily,

Did you try blocking the governor with a screwdriver as I suggested? On a good (working) dial, you can easily turn the finger wheel "to the right" even if the governor is blocked with the screwdriver, since the governor "serves no purpose at this time" when the finger wheel is being turned clockwise. If the clutch is frozen, you won't be able to turn the dial  "to the right" with your finger.

NB: You can also block the governor with a screwdriver  (or long nose pliers) when adjusting the dial speed on the dial on your original 302.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2023, 01:25:39 AMForum member ktownphoneco also restores dials. He is in Ontario

Thanks for the information

Did you try blocking the governor with a screwdriver as I suggested? On a good (working) dial, you can easily turn the finger wheel "to the right" even if the governor is blocked with the screwdriver, since the governor "serves no purpose at this time" when the finger wheel is being turned clockwise. If the clutch is frozen, you won't be able to turn the dial  "to the right" with your finger.

No not yet, I just saw the message. On the other hand, I will not be able to do it today for two reasons; a ; Hydro-Quebec cuts the power where I live for the whole day, two; I was invited for the day or almost to a couple of friends (due to the power cut)..

NB: You can also block the governor with a screwdriver  (or long nose pliers) when adjusting the dial speed on the dial on your original 302.

Okay merci David , j'essaierai ce truc aussi.  (I will try this stuff too)

Contempra

Quote from: TelePlay on January 03, 2023, 01:38:36 PMI doubt it's corrosion because of the brass parts.

Just my first guess, open to revision and other options (from those long time phone guys who have done this in the past).

I think I will have to completely disassemble the dial :( but I have never disassembled a 5H or an AE dial... No problem for the other dial models because they are easy to clean. Anyway, this dial will be used for repair another of the same type if necessary.

EDIT : Recall me your first name please ;) .

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2023, 01:25:39 AMForum member ktownphoneco also restores dials. He is in Ontario

I tried , but nothing . So I will have to completely disassemble the entire dial. I left a message to Ktown anyway because on another sub forum he tells another member that there are steps to follow... the 5H dial is a problem for me at the moment. Fortunately, this is not the case with the 7A-7C or 7D dials. These are very familiar to me.

TelePlay

QuoteI tried , but nothing .

Tried what and what didn't happen?

Contempra

Quote from: TelePlay on January 04, 2023, 09:30:43 PMTried what and what didn't happen ?

If I hold the 'spring clutch' down (not the governor), nothing turns to the right. I'll wait for Jeff's email and then see what I'll do. However, I'm in no hurry at the moment. I have to repair slats because I made a mistake trying to adjust the governor :( . so first of all I have to straighten the slats . When it happened, I was not in the mood because the screwdriver slipped and what happened, happened... :(

poplar1

You could always use one of the 302 base plates as a better subset for the 202. And maybe  put the NE F1 handset on the 202. That would make a good phone for every daily use.