"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Sticky Dial Question?

Started by Doc Canada, February 24, 2023, 09:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Canada

Hi all,

new to the forum and new to rotary phones in general. Picked one up recently (made by ITT is all I can tell) and the dial sticks somewhat while returning. After reading through some posts about resolving the issue with a good cleaning I notice some strange behavior (strange to me). The dial is sticky when facing up, but if I invert the dial so that it's facing down there is no stick or hesitation whatsoever, just that great sound of the dial returning to it's home position. Is this expected behavior or indicative of what might be causing the dial to stick in the first place?

countryman

Hi Doc,
welcome to the forum! We love pictures here, I'm sure with some photos of the phone and the dial you will get great help with that specific model.
When posting pictures please make sure that the size of the picture files is not excessive, they need to be under 3 Megabyte. Normally 500 kB is a fully sufficient size.
You can limit the size with your camera settings or by resizing the images.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26659.0

I suppose the problem you observed will be caused by built up grime and dust inside the dial assembly. When you turn it over, the gears slip into a slightly different position.
Do not soak your dial in oil, WD40 or similar products. I had good luck with the use of automotive brake cleaner (from a pressure pack) and compressed air (gently!). But I do not recommend this as a general practice because I do not know all types of dials and the materials used.

FABphones

Hi Doc and welcome to CRPF.

As countryman says, photos (both sides) of your dial would be of help, also photos of your phone, including underneath, so we can confirm what model you have.

Sounds like you've already found it, but here is a link to our CRPF Dial Repair & Lubrication board:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=25.0

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doc Canada

Ha! of course, I should have posted some pics! Here you go, thanks!

MMikeJBenN27

I would try lubing it with 3-In-1 oil.  Just a drop on each gear and just a drop on each gear shaft end.  You don't want it dripping wet, as oil will then get on the switch contacts.  Then spin it several times a full revolution.  Should free up, as it doesn't look dirty.  If there is no dust cover, you can get one from either Old Phone Works or Old Phone Shop.  I might even have one you can have for $2.00.

Mike

Contempra

Ahh,.... these phones :) they are so common, that we find them everywhere, I am almost made an expert in the disassembling and reassembling of these dial #7. Exactly, today, from 7 am to 8:15 pm, I disassembled and reassembled 5 of them. Cleaning and oiling , it makes a big difference. But it's a good project your 1962 phone. I just saw the year and I have one ready to use. it is already plugged in :)

Doc Canada

Thanks for the info, I will look at getting some 3-in-1 and give it shot (ha ha). There is a dust cover I had removed for the pictures. Ok I'm excited to get this going, a simpler starter project is just what I needed to get my feet wet. Cheers!

Contempra

Quote from: Doc Canada on February 27, 2023, 10:46:59 PMThanks for the info, I will look at getting some 3-in-1 and give it shot (ha ha). There is a dust cover I had removed for the pictures. Ok I'm excited to get this going, a simpler starter project is just what I needed to get my feet wet. Cheers!

For my dials, I often use the sewing machine oil for almost 10 years and they always work. but one day I will try the 3-1

Doc Canada

Quote from: Contempra on February 28, 2023, 10:06:08 AMFor my dials, I often use the sewing machine oil for almost 10 years and they always work. but one day I will try the 3-1

I've read that, so what do you typically use Singer brand oil?

TelePlay

Quote from: Doc Canada on March 04, 2023, 10:14:03 AM. . . so what do you typically use Singer brand oil?

Did you see this topic?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7899.0

I use synthetic watch oil (for gear and axel bearing points and teeth) and grease (for the mainspring bearing points).

Moebius is the best, but not cheap. Other less expensive synthetic clock and watch oils are readily available. If you think about it, a watch has the most delicate of mechanisms requiring the best lubricant for long term operation. They don't use inferior lubricants.

Contempra

Quote from: Doc Canada on March 04, 2023, 10:14:03 AMI've read that, so what do you typically use Singer brand oil?

I use "Huile blanche ' I don't know what it's called in English. Since I live in Quebec, I couldn't say.

TelePlay

Quote from: Contempra on March 04, 2023, 08:58:15 PMI use "Huile blanche ' I don't know what it's called in English.

From the topic link above:

"White Mineral Oil (Huile Blanche sewing machine oil)"

keeping in mind that what terms refer to in the US may mean something else in French Canada or across the pond. White mineral oil in the US is a thick oil found in drug stores to be used as a laxative, and other things. As found on the google machine: "The name 'mineral oil' by itself is imprecise, having been used for many specific oils over the past few centuries."

I would consider true sewing oil a better lubricant for dials than 3 in 1 oil but not as good as watch oil. I would never use the thick laxative mineral oil on a dial but I would use a sewing machine mineral oil on a dial.

That make sense?

Contempra

Quote from: TelePlay on March 04, 2023, 09:34:41 PMFrom the topic link above:

"White Mineral Oil (Huile Blanche sewing machine oil)"

keeping in mind that what terms refer to in the US may mean something else in French Canada or across the pond. White mineral oil in the US is a thick oil found in drug stores to be used as a laxative, and other things. As found on the google machine: "The name 'mineral oil' by itself is imprecise, having been used for many specific oils over the past few centuries."

I would consider true sewing oil a better lubricant for dials than 3 in 1 oil but not as good as watch oil. I would never use the thick laxative mineral oil on a dial but I would use a sewing machine mineral oil on a dial.

That make sense?

lollllllll...laxative!... I wouldn't swallow that kind of oil for sure. Well, I couldn't really say that. But I am sure of one thing, that is, it would really surprise me that they would use laxative oil in sewing machines, let alone phone dials, but as I said, I've been using it for a little over 10 years on phone dials, and so far, no damage or blockage or dust.

On the other hand, if we put this oil very often on sewing machines (because the speed is high), it is not at all the case of the telephone dials. Probably the 3 in 1 is better, but at the price that it is worth, it never convinced me to use it. As I had a lot of sewing machine oil (I collected some for a few years, let's say), I had to use it, and I did some tests and it works.

I have phones that have no cover under the train-governor, and there is no dust, If there is a dusty apartment (I have to almost every day, dust the apartment (near a street), it is mine dear friend TelePlay ;) .but I clean every or almost, all my phones.

MMikeJBenN27

I agree, watch oil or even sewing machine oil is better, but there is no place around here to get any right away.  I remember when people used mineral oil for just the reason you said - as a laxative.

Mike

TelePlay

That the intended use of the mineral oil sold in every drug store today. It's sold by the gallon (with less purity) in farm supply stores to treat cows for the same problem.

White mineral oil made for sewing machines is not the same as laxative grade white, pure mineral oil.

These oils are formulated differently during production.  Same name used but different oil viscosities.

BTW, I use laxative mineral oil as needed on wood handled kitchen knives and wood cutting boards to keep the wood from being dried out over many washings with dish soap. I would not use mechanical lubricants on those wood items.