News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GE Telechron Clock - "The Debutante" 1945-1949

Started by Kenny C, June 23, 2010, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I got this GE clock in march or april and i have no idea what it is please help me
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Looks like a General Electric clock to me! ;D
Also looks like you got it 4 years ago! ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

thats the way my moms camera is we havn't changed the date yet
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

i set myself up for that one
Quote from: HarrySmith on June 23, 2010, 09:19:37 PM
Looks like a General Electric clock to me! ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Bill Cahill

Yeh, and, it looks like you haven't plugged it in either..
Seriously, looks like it's from the late 40's. Nice little clock.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HarrySmith

I AM JUST A SUCKER FOR THE OBVIOUS, CANNOT PASS UP ONE THAT IS OFFERED SO EASILY!! ;D ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

Here's a great site for GE and Telechron clocks...

http://www.telechron.net/main.htm

And here is your particular clock. It's "The Debutante." It was made from 1945-49 and can be found in the Postwar category.

http://www.telechron.net/postwar/3h168.htm

You can browse all the clocks by clicking the "next" button under the description. I don't know about anyone else, but I have always liked the way they named everything in the 1940s and 50s. GE and RCA named their radios and TVs too and I think Westclox also named their clocks.

The little red dot, I think, is a power failure indicator. I think when you reset the clock, it turns white until the power goes off and back on. These clocks have ingenious little motors in them that eventually dry up and need lubrication. The motor is oftentimes in a sealed copper case and has a cylinder in the back that inserts into an electric motor winding that's hooked to the AC cord. My mom's 1953 GE stove has two of them. One in the clock and one in the separate timer. The clock stripped a gear before I was born, but the timer still works and the buzz from it would wake the dead! Just slightly less annoying than a crying baby.

I may not have used the correct jargon for all the clock parts--I'm not a clock collector. I've replaced those little motors before, but never lubricated them. There are loads of instructions on the internet on how to re-lube these little motors, including drilling a hole in the case or letting the oil seep in through where the small gear exits.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Jonathan....excellent site!! I love the old Telechron clocks. I have a few that were made in the Ashland MASS Factory that is the next town to me. Thanks for this information....Doug
Kidphone

Dan

I have caught the bug a little bit on older clocks too. I have to control myself, the phones are out of hand as it is.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

There is a message forum for clock fanatics at: http://mb.nawcc.org/.  It is a really busy forum, and not quite as friendly and peaceful as this forum.  i was able to get some help identifying a couple of my clocks there.

Larry

Kenny C

i didnt know it was that old i was thinking late 50's or early 60's but from 45-49 thats great.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Thought I'd share a cool yard sale find. This is a 1953 Jefferson "Golden Hour" clock. The  red back plate is tenite plastic and shined up well with Novus two. My kids cannot figure out how the hands turn. It runs quiet. Best of all-- it was $5 ! Not bad for 24 carat gold plated zinc.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Those are really neat. I saw one at a buddy's house growing up.
Years later I got 1 at an auction. Sadly it got broken during a move.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

deedubya3800

I had never heard of a Golden Hour, but I'm sure I've seen one somewhere. Those are awesome! I just had to sit here and read all about them and how they work and who made them and even had to view the plant on Google Street View! Look for one of those to be in my new house, whenever I get one. ;D

Dan

Considering they made them from 1949-1991 with little to no changes, it almost gives a WE500 a run for it's money!