"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

6 Line Automatic Electric 86

Started by compubit, November 11, 2017, 07:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Folks -

I'm looking for some info on an AE 86 (Model #: NB86300ASLE, phone date 1965) - with the connecting block (36 terminal posts).  The phone appears to be a 6 line (apparently no hold function) - all 6 buttons latch, and the mechanism has R, T and H connections for 6 lines, along with a few other connections (Common?).  There are also 6 lamps and 6 lamp wire sets...

I'm not having luck using the search function on TCI library on the model 86 nor on the forums.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!
Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Hhmmmm...

I have NO idea but here are some observations:

Numbering on the base is fairly normal NB86300 ASLE. Normally the A would mean it was a numbers only dial but maybe that was changed sometime later. SL is straight line ringer...is there a ringer in this one? The E is unknown, that location is quite often where odd features are coded.

I have never seen that connecting block on an 86 before. Older sets had spade top cords and newer ones had an Amphenol Plug. But, this block may have been an optional set up that we just never ordered here. Or it could be an indicator that the phone had a different use such as 1A keyor some other function.

All clear buttons (no red) are normal on older AE's though typically the left key would be a hold button still. I believe there were options to have all line keys and no hold button. It may even be convertible to a hold function by adjusting a screw on the frame of the button strip.

This appears to be an odd one! I will see if I can find any paperwork here.

Terry

stub

Jim,
      Never mind on e-mail I got it below - The last letter in code,E, is for key assy. ( PPPPsPsPs (6 key)       
                                                                                                                         P= pick up key
                                                                                                                         Ps=pick up key convertible to signal key. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

compubit

Thanks, all!

This will get me started. Only positions 4, 5, & 6 provides de the ability to set/unset locking.

It will be weird to have a 10A2/1A2 multiline phone without hold capabilities...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Babybearjs

I worked on these before, first time seeing a terminal black. The Surplus Center used to have these for $18.50/Pc. sold out back in 2009, I bought the lot... Good luck in wiring it up, should be straight forward. I had both 86 and 87 phones and was able to switchout parts to customize the 87's I had... wound up salvaging the 86's... couldn't use them at the time... If you ever get some AE 87's, the are interchangeable with the 86's... I had upgraded mine to match the ITT 576 3 line phones... and they work great!
John

compubit

Thanks for the information. I have a New In Box AE87 that I picked up on eBay a while back. It was still in the brown humidity packaging - I have opened it (but still have the box and brown humidity packaging). The dial is a little sluggish, but I figure a quick cleaning will fix that. Right now it's a display piece until I get everything wired up.

When we lived in GTE territory (80s-high school/college for me, and one set of grandparents homes), I wasn't a big fan of AE equipment - mostly since we had the 80E series, and the switch serving us was old (dial using touch-tone, and listen to the central office convert the tones to pulse in the background). My grandparents had 80 series phones which I liked better, but wasn't a fan of the ringer - too "fast" and loud for me, but my uncle had an AE90 turquoise in his kitchen - and I wanted one of them. I love the look of that phone. (I have several now - hoping I can eventually score a grey or dark blue...).  I've since come to appreciate the AE phones, just for the fact that they were different from WE/NE/ITT/SC designs in the 60s-80s.

Jim

Babybearjs

here are some pictures of what I did with my AE 86/87A telephones. since I didn't need the 86 phones I took them apart and switched out the switchhook, the base, and the light bar.... on some of the newer 87A's they have the extra wiring for the lamp upgrade.
John