News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess Phone Colors

Started by tjmack99, January 30, 2011, 07:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

So the height of the 701 and 702 are identical over all? Isn't the 702 plastic case a little shorter in height to make up for it sitting a little higher on the base? That is the case with the newer generation of AE Starlite phones.

Terry

jsowers

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 15, 2012, 02:14:06 PM
So the height of the 701 and 702 are identical over all? Isn't the 702 plastic case a little shorter in height to make up for it sitting a little higher on the base? That is the case with the newer generation of AE Starlite phones.

Yes, that's the case. You can see the height of both phones is the same in Dennis' first picture. The housing on the 701 is a bit taller than than the 702 if just the housings are sitting side by side, and they don't interchange. You can also see how the gold on the base of the 701 looks nicer than the gold on the base of the 702 in Dennis' pictures.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

That Black 702 base has not been cleaned.  Its showing it wear from the years.  It's not the best example but I've seen them in worse condition.

George Knighton

I found my white 701B after a short search, and it works great and is cleaning up well. 

I've got a dumb question, though.  In some reference material, I see that people say that only the "smooth" bottom mat was used beginning in 1961. 

Mine obviously has the other mat.  It doesn't look like it has been refurbished, but what do I know.  Is this bottom mat correct for 11.61, or is the reference site incorrect?

Another dumb question....

Does "ivory" really exist?  Or are people calling white ivory?

The only ivory [sic] Princesses that I can find are really just discolored white phones.

Annoying new poster.

poplar1

Original Princess colors from 1959 are white (code -58), pink (-59), light beige (-60), aqua blue (-62) and turquoise (-64). However, according to Paul F's site, black (-3), green (-51), yellow (-56) and light gray (-61) were added in 1963 and ivory (-50) and red (-53) were added in 1967.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

George Knighton

Thank you.

Great.  Now I've got to buy something else.

:-)
Annoying new poster.

AE_Collector

Quote from: George Knighton on December 23, 2012, 12:18:59 PM
Great.  Now I've got to buy something else.

That's our "Mission Statement" here on CRPF.

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: George Knighton on December 23, 2012, 11:29:18 AM
I've got a dumb question, though.  In some reference material, I see that people say that only the "smooth" bottom mat was used beginning in 1961. 

Mine obviously has the other mat.  It doesn't look like it has been refurbished, but what do I know.  Is this bottom mat correct for 11.61, or is the reference site incorrect?

I've seen that mat on sets as early as 12/59.

Since this question comes up from time to time, I added some observation info to my site.  I'll update it as we find more examples.

http://www.paul-f.com/wePrincess.html#Mats

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: stopthemachine on January 30, 2011, 10:39:11 PM
I would like a manual Princess phone as well--just because it's a bit strange to see.  Were Princess phones made with the touch-tone-looks-rotary pad like the Celebrity phones, Jim???  Never saw those before--when were they made?

I just realized I never answered this question.

The princess with the TT is a generic housing and does not have a cutout for the finger stop.
When I bought it , it had WE guts and a touchpad from a celebrity set.

I didn't realize the difference until I tried swapping the housing to a rotary base.
The housing was designed for rebuilders that used standard 3" dials. These rebuilders may use princess type networks or coils from old wood sets to create a modern looking phone.
I really like the colors on the set .
  Eventually I will put the housing on one of these bases or replace the TT dial with one that isn't missing the trim around the buttons.

I would like to mention the green swirl princess is made of marble and is marked Italy.
The guts are SC and it wasn't quite finished, The never added the anchors for the base screws.
But it shows well
Jim

Sorry for the 11 year wait for a reply.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.