News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

finlover's Amazing Phone Display

Started by finlover, September 25, 2010, 11:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Here are some grainy photos of my little collection.  Not pictured are a lime green Stromberg-Carlson 554, a black AE50 and a black '52 WE 500, all of which are "in service" at our house.

Kenny C

Looks like you have some of the best there. Great collection.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Nice display Finlover ;D
Did you build the shelves? I have been searching for a shelving unit to display my phones and have not found anything I like with proper dimensions yet. I do not want to have to build one :-\
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

finlover

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 25, 2010, 11:55:56 AM
Nice display Finlover ;D
Did you build the shelves? I have been searching for a shelving unit to display my phones and have not found anything I like with proper dimensions yet. I do not want to have to build one :-\

Thanks, Harry!  I'm not THAT handy--it's from IKEA!  Hard to tell from the photos, but it's a very dark rosewood color.  They have different configurations and finishes to choose from.

HarrySmith

That is one place I have not been to yet. I try to stay away from that place, too much crowds for me!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

The blue and red phones with gray cords seem out of place. Feel free to ship them to CA next time you visit the post office. ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS: Did you build the black cabinets? They look very "elegantes".
Jorge

gpo706

I'm with Harry about the shelving, it's the business.

It almost distracts from the mouthwatering array of phones, I'm off to IKEA payday.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

finlover

Thanks, gpo706!  It looks even better in person.  My indoor photography skills are a bit lacking...

IKEA calls this a bookcase and it was fairly easy to assemble.  It's nice and solid when put together.

gpo706

Its well impressive as a display that unit.

I managed to get 2 VHS tower displays, apart from that its all plastic storage crates or cardboard boxes!

Finlover - is it an Expedit unit?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40047675

finlover

THAT'S IT!  But don't be fooled by the name--it isn't exactly an EXPEDITious process to put it together.  The color of mine is black-brown.  The only problem is that black or brown phones sort of disappear when they're put inside it.  That's why I put the black phones on top.  White would be striking too, as long as your walls aren't also white.

gpo706

Excellent, I'm a dab hand at flat packs, I even managed to assemble a second hand TV unit without the instructions - that took about 7 hours luckily all the bits were there, though was easier than some phones I've worked on!

AE_Collector

I used IKEA as well except I went with the more basic looking "Billy Bookshelves" in plain old white. Wrapped them around the room and then sprung for the glass doors for them when I happened upon them on sale one day. By then I needed 7 pairs of doors.

The Billy's are inexpensive and I even stumbled upon some of them being cleared out from the demo in the store so they were already built and marked down from the regular price. I initially tried the optional glass shelves rather than matching white wood but found the white wood shelves made the phones stand out better so I returned the glass shelves.

The shelves are adjustable due to the predrilled holes for metal pins that support the shelves so I was able to get maximum number of phones into each Billy without compromising the ability to see them too much.

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: finlover on September 25, 2010, 11:51:14 AM
Here are some grainy photos of my little collection.  Not pictured are a lime green Stromberg-Carlson 554, a black AE50 and a black '52 WE 500, all of which are "in service" at our house.
Hey Greg....beautiful collection of phones. I love the bright colors, great display. You should be very proud of them. Your friends must be amazed when then see these. You certainly have a knack of restoring these to their past glory. Outstanding!....Doug
Kidphone

finlover

That means a lot coming from a collector of your caliber, Doug--thank you!!  Only a few of them are truly valuable or collectible but I do love all the colors.  My holy grail is a colored AE34 or 40, but those seem to command some serious dough.

paul-f

Quote from: finlover on September 25, 2010, 11:51:14 AM

Wow!  I'll second the congratulations for a great display.

It's striking to see them set off with enough space to fully appreciate each set -- like jewels in the jewelry store.  It also somewhat reminds me of the set of Hollywood Squares.  You could have all sorts of fun arranging them in color patterns, such as red/orange on one diagonal and blue on the other, etc.

Hopefully you have enough wall space for a second shelf unit as your collection grows.

Well done!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line