News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg-Carlson

Started by PSGreg, December 03, 2008, 04:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Well he took the pictures and can't find the cable thing to connect the camera to the PC. I'm not blowing you off, sorry. AS soon as he finds it, I'll get the pictures up. Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

mienaichizu

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 12, 2008, 12:14:05 PM
I could be wrong (and often am)...but that clapper sure looks like one that would be on a "frequency" ringer.  They were weighted.  Dan, if yours looks like that one too the condition you describe would support the fact that it may be a frequency ringer.  Frequency ringers were tuned to a certain "frequency" which was a certain rating.  In order for the ringer to work today it must be 20cycles or less.  (There are electrical guys on this forum that know more about this than I do) .  On the bottom of your phone, does it have a rating for cycles.  Often some phones will say 20 cycles, or 48 cycles, or 35 cycles.  It may also read Hz...like 20Hz.

If it IS a frequency ringer, it ain't gonna ring.  There is a modification that can be made to an AE ringer on an old AE40 but I know of nothing that can be done with these.  I have a hand full of them that collect dust because they can't work.  They will "jiggle" a bit but won't swing enough to hit the gong.  Sometimes you can move the gongs closer to the clapper so that it will strike them, but it will be a "tinkle". 

All of this is just a guess based upon the look of that heavy clapper.

I don't generally have anything that new so I'm only guessing.  I didn't even think they made frequency ringers into the 70's but maybe some small phone companies (which would have had Stromberg Carlson) had them.  The Bell System used only Western Electric phones.  General Telephone (now Verizon) used Automatic Electric which often had frequency ringers as they were in rural areas with party lines.

Dennis

just read this thread recently, that is also one of my problem with my ITT, the clapper does moves but doesn't hit the gongs, I move closer the gongs to the clapper it does hit it but only sounds a ting, not that so loud

bingster

Look in between the gongs, and check for the end of a thin metal rod sticking out.  You may be able to move that rod to different positions.  Moving it may allow the clapper to move more freely.

Most ringers have this, but not being familiar with your phone, I'm not sure if yours will.  It's worth checking though.
= DARRIN =

Dan

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=761440&image=209431358&images=209430266,209430814,209431358,209431758&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

This image shows my clapper, but the network is different. Mine is a plug in spade type without the screws.This is an ITT just like mine . Is this a frequency ringer? My phone doesn't ring at all, despite Counterchecking  wiring and making sure they are wired exactly the same (another ITT with a 500 type ringer with a smaller gong and tension spring.)

Also, I hope this helps you Greg. I have since moved my handset and cord , orange wall cord , and dial off my rarer orange nonringing ITT(with the huge clapper)  and put it on a  1984 ITT which RINGS (it has a bell mechanism and little clapper  like a WE500) .  I have a nice ringing orange phone now, albeit not original.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

That sure looks like a frequency ringer to me.  Nothing on the bottom of the phone that tells how many cycles??  Take one of your known good ringers and swap it out with this one.  I'd bet a week of Mark Stevens' pay that it's a frequency ringer.

I didn't notice the other photos.  Obviously nothing about cycle on the bottom of the phone.

Dan

Thanks Dennis. I am glad it is a frequency ringer. Now I don't feel so bad about not getting it ringing...

I guess we must make sure any newer  non-modular phones out there should be identified as ITT (in my case ) or possibly Stromberg-Carlson (in Greg's case) since we all don't want to buy non-ringing phones.

Dennis Markham

Greg, they don't all have frequency ringers.  Usually the phones that were used in rural areas had them for party line ringing.  Again, I'm surprised one so late would have one but it does happen.  Since many of the smaller telephone companies were in rural areas they used non-Western Electric equipment and that is where you'll find most of your ringers with cycles above 20hz.  Those brands include Stromberg-Carlson and Automatic Electric.  It is not uncommon to find AE 80's and 90's with those type of ringers, as well as the earlier AE 40's.  Also phones from North Electric have them but not always.  You just have to watch.  If the phone doesn't say the amount of cycles on the bottom a photo of the ringer will often tell.  Like yours they almost always have that very heavy weighted clapper arm.  Often you will see a number on the bottom of the phone that will include the letters SL.  That is for "straight line" ringer and you can be assured that it will be a ringer that will work on today's lines.

I have added a few photos of some frequency ringers I removed from Kellogg model 500's.  You will notice the heavy clapper.  One is a 66 cycle and the other a 42 cycle ringer.
Dennis

Steve

Lots of knowledge on this board. I'm feeling better about picking up a fixer upper 354 now...

:)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

QuoteLots of knowledge on this board. I'm feeling better about picking up a fixer upper 354 now...

I'm convinced that some of these folks worked for Western Electric and are just not telling us because they don't want to hurt our feelings. 

HobieSport

Steve, I like the WE354s and have three to refurbish someday.  Have you seen the one that Dennis refurbished for Mark?  Quite the inspiration!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/2008/07/18/western-electric-model-354/#more-61

Dennis Markham

Thanks Matt for bragging on me.  I really am proud of that phone but half the battle of that 354 was no battle at all.  That means it was one of the few phones that I have come across that was in excellent condition at the onset.  I mean, look at that F1 handset--it is nearly flawless.  And the porcelain dial plate looked brand new.  For sure that phone was hidden away for years.  A great example of a phone from 1952.

Steve

Nice work and a beautiful phone! now I really have the jones for one. I would really love to have one in ivory.

how hard is the ivory to find? any tips for problems to look for or questions to ask on seller on that model? what would be an average on price for one that needs a LITTLE tlc?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

There's an ivory model on ebay right now for five bucks.  The dial surround is a bit discolored, though:

Link ( dead link 03-27-21 )

There's also an orange and a black up right now, too.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Steve, were you talking about an ivory 354?  They go a little higher.  A nice one can easily be in the $200 range.  You have to watch for cracks on the corners and just about everywhere else.  One will show up on eBay from time to time.  Prices seem to be down for much of the stuff these days.  I noticed a decent pink Princess went tonight for $42.  A year ago it would have easily brought over $100.  It's a buyer's market.

Steve

Yes Dennis.

A Ivory 354.

a rare bird.

spray job?

maybe.

Depends
how
long
I
must
wait...