News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Upright Telephone Box" Discussion (Auction Contest 239 Subject Phone)

Started by Jim Stettler, November 13, 2016, 10:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

There is a nice early looking wood candlestick on Ebay.   Auction   contest 239.

This is a nice looking phone, but I think it is a model. I think the long pole is a repro from back in the day (New shell old guts). I don't think the hinges are right on the transmitter. I feel the transmitter would still be a Blake style based on the style of the wood shaft . The base and shaft look cool but not quite right to me.

What are your opinions?

Jim S.

If this is a modle it was probably professionally created for  a telephone company display.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Thanks, Jim. A good idea for this item, to start a discussion topic outside of the contest topic, that is.

Selling price guesses can be made in the contest topic:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17098.0

Any comments or analysis of this item should be made here.

TelePlay

This phone/item overnight has become the number one watched phone on eBay jumping from 12 watchers when the contest was created to 59 watchers this morning.

The number two watched is a green jukebox and the 3rd watched is the red 302, auction contest 238 with 47 watchers.

poplar1

I missed the memo telling how to find the "most watched" Ebay items. How do you do that?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

TelePlay

The seller added internal images of the phone. They have been added to the first auction contest post.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17098.msg176289#msg176289

I get the feeling that his is flying under the radar, in a way, but with 75 watchers, these new images will help determine the current market value just before the auction ends.

rdelius

I would not expect a ring type hook on a set of this vintage.Would most likely have a "stearhorn" hook

Russ Kirk

Seller added this comment about the switch hook.

On Nov-14-16 at 00:28:54 PST, seller added the following information:

The original switch hook is a solid brass steer horn type. It broke in half as you can see from the photo. The switch hook that is on the phone now, is a temporary replacement. The original can be welded together again and put back on the phone.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds on November 14, 2016, 06:43:11 AM
A few pictures from the Seller.  Nice, but looks homemade to me.
I agree with Dave...very similar to one I got this year. Mine had a real WE outside terminal receiver that I sold to pay for the phone. I had a repro long pole that looked perfect on it....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

There is also a seam on the longpole. After seeing the internal photos,  I don't feel this is "real".

If someone wants to post the internal photos from the auction contest thread, I would appreciate it.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I will keep my guess in place , but I don't think it is real. I hope  nobody goes that high.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would be willing to buy it at a show for around $200.00, A fake long-pole w/o real guts  is still worth at least $100 in my mind . A fake long pole with real guts worth more. At $200.00 I would be happy to keep it around for a few years.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

poplar1

The pictures from the other topic:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Sitting at $495 right now. Jumped $400 in one day after seller posted internal photos.

High bid right now is a buyer with 0 feedback. ? ? ?

Fabius

Notice the 4 screw holes on the bottom. Must of been a plate or cover?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409