"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

MAKING a cord board for C*NET !

Started by dc4code, May 21, 2018, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting in the past couple days,

I'm working on something BIG! I'm designing and making a CORD BOARD that will be connected to C*NET

When the board is complete I will have 10 trunks to connect calls and I will be able to operate 10 calls at once!

Basically at the bottom of the cord board will be my 10 trunks with 10 phone numbers connected to C*NET using a few ATAs then in the middle will be my 10 subscribers I will use 10 private phone numbers and a main phone number that calls a Hunt Group to connect calls to the cord board! I will then have a rotary dial connected to the trunk I select!

Process:

User dials the main number to access the cord board.
Line rings

I pick up and say 'Operator, Number Please?'

User gives me the number they wants to call on the C*NET Network or PSTN.

I select the trunk, Dial the phone number

I look at the LED to see if the line is busy, congested, no circuit..etc..etc

Then (if the line is connected and it was not busy or anything) I use the patch cord to connect the subscriber to the trunk!

SUCCESS! A working switchboard able to place and receive calls on the C*NET Network! (and the PSTN later on)

Please give me a month or so to gather all the parts and put it together:

Parts I'm buying:

- 1/4" 6.35mm Input jacks
- A lot of 1/4" 6.35mm cables
- LEDs for the signal of if the line is busy, congested, reorder etc..etc.
- A bunch of ATAs and dial-up modems cards that I can put in an old pc and use that as one massive ATA with a lot of lines.
- A server to use with Asterisk  (I have a raspberry pi 3 I can use)
- I can recycle the wood from my house that's under construction (because of hurricane Irma)
- A rotary dial to dial the numbers on the selected trunks (I will also connect a few POTS lines to the board to make and receive calls on the PSTN!)
- And that's about it! I will then use my tools to put together all the wood pieces, drill some holes put in the jacks and LEDs use an Arduino for the signal lights for line status and signals. and connect all of the trunks and access numbers to the C*NET Network!

I will update with pictures and status of this project in this thread :)

The reason I'm building my own is the ones on eBay are really expensive and I wouldn't have the time needed to convert the cord board to work with C*NET (neither would I want to modify such an awesome thing)

If you would like to donate to this project please send donations to my PayPal at cruzmarcos@mac.com

dsk

Great idea! :D

I guess we have some limitations in development of internet telephony, but I really hope it will come.

If we could get a fully automatic voice recognition service, we could use our dial-less phone, and even further back in history, a magneto adapter and the same exchange.

I have the dreams, but not the skills  8)

dsk

dc4code

Ohh, I've been looking around the internet for hours and I found all the circuits I need to make this work! I will be using Grandstream HT502s for the trunk lines (because they support pulse dialing) And I will use Cisco SPA112s for the subscriber lines (they don't support pulse dialing but it doesn't matter)

I have found a circuit for the lights on the switchboard too! The issue is that next to the subscriber lines jacks is that I need the lights next to the lines to flash when there is an incoming call so I found a circuit for that! ( http://www.instructables.com/id/Telephone-Ringer-Visual-Alert-LED/ )

I will then take the rotary dial out of a lineman's buttset and use that as the dial for the trunks! and I also have a lot of other parts and stuff for this!

I have everything in my eBay account, Just waiting until I can get $70 to purchase everything, A bit difficult when your only 15 so I guess I will have to wait a while till I can save up. or maybe somebody will donate to me? who knows! :)

Also, another issue is I said I could do this in a month but to keep my cost low I'm getting all the parts from China so it will take like 90 or so days for everything to come.

dc4code

Update: I'm in the process of registering numbers here is what I submitted for approval on C*NET :

229-0 Dylan Cruz     (Manual Cordboard)    Main Access number to cordboard    Operator: 1 229-0000  -  Self-Dial Service: 1 229-0001
229-1 Dylan Cruz     (Manual Cordboard)     Trunks  #1
229-2 Dylan Cruz     (Manual Cordboard)     Trunks  #2
229-3 Dylan Cruz     Test Numbers
229-4 Dylan Cruz     Subscribers & Internal Use (Contact me : admin@dc4.us If you need numbers in this block)
229-5 Dylan Cruz     Subscribers & Internal Use (Contact me : admin@dc4.us If you need numbers in this block)
229-6 Dylan Cruz     Subscribers & Internal Use (Contact me : admin@dc4.us If you need numbers in this block)
229-7 Dylan Cruz     Subscribers & Internal Use (Contact me : admin@dc4.us If you need numbers in this block)
229-8 Dylan Cruz     Subscribers & Internal Use (Contact me : admin@dc4.us If you need numbers in this block)
229-9 Dylan Cruz     Subscribers & Internal Use (Contact me : admin@dc4.us If you need numbers in this block)

Just waiting for the email now! :)

dc4code

Also, @dsk once this project is complete you can get an ATA with C*NET and you can have it so when its off-hook it automatically dial 1 229 0000 then it would go directly to an operator.

Also if anybody has a cordboard and wants to collaborate with me we can have both of our cord boards in service and linked to each other over the network :)

Key2871

Wow, young and having fun with phone's, now a cord board.
I'm interested in seeing pictures of the board when you can post them. Good luck!
KEN

dc4code

I'm also a computer programmer and vintage computer collector! :)

dc4code

dsk

Quote from: dc4code on May 23, 2018, 09:37:36 PM
Also, @dsk once this project is complete you can get an ATA with C*NET and you can have it so when its off-hook it automatically dial 1 229 0000 then it would go directly to an operator.

Also if anybody has a cordboard and wants to collaborate with me we can have both of our cord boards in service and linked to each other over the network :)

Fantastic!

dsk

rdelius

I possibly could have helped along with others have had old patchbays that could be reworked into jack fields.. The 2nd row of jacks could be replaced with lamps

dc4code

Awesome! If you have an ATA then we are in business :)

I'm just waiting for the email from C*NET with my SIP Login for everything, It's been like a week now why isn't the owner sending me the info?

I put my email and everything in correctly and I filled all the forms and what not. I don't see any issues...

HarrySmith

The owners over there do not move very fast. Be patient.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"