News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 Sluggish Ringer

Started by bellsystem, June 27, 2017, 10:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

You may be able to rotate the gongs without loosening the screws. I just tried that on an old ringer I had sitting on the shelf and I was able to rotate both of them. One at a time, move it closer to and that away from the ringing clapper to get the ring you want. Then do the same with the other one. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it had more serious issues.

bellsystem

The gongs have nothing to do with the problem. Even if I move the clapper without touching the bells, I get that funky vibration.

TelePlay

This is what a 302 ringer sound like (attached zip file).

If you have rattle, it should be mixed in with the ring. I do not hear the ring, only the rattle.

How can you rule out the gong not being adjusted correctly for your ring voltage, current or other parts of the ring circuit without trying the simplest fix first, adjusting the gong?

bellsystem

I won't go into detail about how I know the problem is with the clapper but I know.

I've tried moving and touching it without striking the gongs and it produces a vibration even then. If I touch the clapper (to mute it), the vibrating stops.

The bells are ringing. In my recording, the second ring was much closer to the camera than the first one, which is why it was different. It really doesn't sound that bad.

The rattle does though.

The gongs do not move - they are tightly screwed in (tried a screwdriver already) and don't turn by themselves when screwed in. Given it's been screwed in for 70 to 80 years (the handset is from the 40s, but the phone is from '39), it probably won't come out easily.

I'm wondering if the clapper is connected to something improperly, and that could be causing this rattling vibration.

Ktownphoneco

Hold onto the clapper rod with one hand, and try wiggling the brass striker with the other hand.     There should be no movement between the two.

Jeff Lamb

bellsystem

The brass striker is secure. But I DID make some progress...

If I keep my finger lightly on the thing the clapper is connected to that kind of looks like an electrical outlet, the vibrations stop. As soon as I let go, the vibrations start. As long as I lightly touch the electrical-outlet-looking thing with my finger, there are no vibrations, and the ringing cadence sounds crisp and clear.

So the problem seems to be with that electrical-outlet looking component, whatever it is and does. Anyone know why it would be causing the clapper to erratic vibrations?

david@london

Quote from: TelePlay on June 29, 2017, 03:29:41 PM
This is what a 302 ringer sound like (attached zip file).

john -

that's a lovely clear-sounding 302 ringer in the  file you attached. nice to hear.
is it from a metal-bodied phone? i have a metal redbar and it has the sweetest, most resonant ring of all my phones.

TelePlay

Quote from: david@london on June 29, 2017, 05:56:20 PM
that's a lovely clear-sounding 302 ringer in the  file you attached. nice to hear.
is it from a metal-bodied phone? i have a metal redbar and it has the sweetest, most resonant ring of all my phones.

Yes, metal bodies do not seem to muffle the ring as much as plastic. Maybe because the phone is heavier, sit more firmly when ringing. Just guess there, don't really know for sure. Probably a combination of several things so that when all are optimum, the ring is very sweet with a long sustain.