News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No keys on Western Electric 1D2 - how to open?

Started by timmerk, March 31, 2011, 10:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Quote from: GG on April 02, 2011, 12:36:50 AM

I wonder if they have the original cloth-covered cords for the 706 handsets?  I have a couple of early Ericsson 706s of that vintage, which might look nice with that handset cord on it.  Both are two-tone gray, so I might convert one to two-tone green if I can find the parts. 

Hmm, more projects to do... : - )

Mmmm, I'm a bit baffled here by "cloth-covered" cords, I have never seen a 706 or variants with cloth (twined) handset cords.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

GG

706s were originally provided with nylon-covered handset cords, with rubber grommets in the usual places for strain relief.  These were not braided cords per 232 and 332, these were smooth cords similar to what you see on WE 302s. 

Go here and look at the picture in the upper left:

http://britishtelephones.com/t706.htm#2

Those handset cords are what I was referring to. 

I have two of this vintage (NOS, 2-tone gray) but with regular coiled handset cords and dial plates marked with thinner versions of the arrows that appeared on the later ones.   These were imported into Canada and provided with North American number rings. 

GG

Oh hey, GPO, while you're here:  776 Compact = not only HRH the Queen's Silver Jubilee, but also the 50th anniversary of the 232.  Separate ringer box, even a wall mounting bracket for the phone itself atop the ringer if desired.  I'm quite certain the PO had that in mind, based on those two design points. 

gpo706

The 776 was designed to be small enough to sit on your average window ledge it is said, as most UK installations tended to be in the hallway. (Assuming there WAS a window in your hallway).

Peculiar throwback with seperate ringer, as you say much like a 232 redux, they really don't appeal to me aesthetically but are quite collectable, maybe one day if I can find a cheap one.

In your last post when you said cloth cords I was imagining a braided cord, who knows might look cute on a 706!

Just had a thought (maybe silly one) could you not convert a 4 core straight switchboard cord to create a replica?

Strike that - I'm fairly sure these 4 core nylon cords were made in varying shades of grey on GPO headsets, all mine have them.

GG

Heh, braided cords on a 706; somehow I can't see that.  I'm reluctant to try to convert a different type of cord due to the whole thing about the special square grommet and metal twist-tab on the handset end, and the other special square grommet at the housing.  But if someone has original or good repro cords for those, excellent, I'll buy a handful. 

I think GPO used the same color straight cords on all colors of early 706. 

The 776 is only an inch shorter front-to-back than the 232 with drawer.  With a straight line cord it could even be used as a conventional desk phone in an office, with the bellbox mounted on the side of the desk.  Personally I like them.  I managed to get one of the Queen's Jubilee versions cheaply (minus the correct dial center, oh well; I substituted something that matches the background color of the dial, since the number label for those is under the handset).  In the US that color would be known as Navy Blue.  Also just scored a white one that may have been NOS and will only need to have some scratches buffed out at the back. 

In the US, most houses are built to a cheaper specification, with wood frame construction rather than the thick masonry that I hear is typical of the UK.  So we don't have window ledges broad enough for phones, much less for sitting in and looking at the outdoors.   Though in older houses, there were often built-in alcoves in the walls for WE desk stands, B1s and D1s.   (Where my friends are building, and where I hope to be in a couple of years, our specs are for thick masonry for energy conservation reasons, so I suppose we could end up with deep window ledges; though I wouldn't put a phone or other electronics in direct sunlight.)   In any case, the 776 would work well as a bedroom phone, similar to our Princess and Trimline but with the bell further away from one's pillow so as not to jolt one out of sleep ; - )   To my mind the only problem with the 776 is that, similar to the early Princess, one needs to use both hands: one hand to hold the phone while dialing, so it doesn't scoot around on the table. 

It would be most interesting to find the people who designed the 776 and interview them about the design process and their thoughts going into it.   I'm almost certain that they were thinking of the 232, and the wall mounting bracket for the set really points in that direction.  The only other thing that could have been done to reinforce that idea, would be if they made them in the original 232 colors of black, ivory, Chinese red, and jade green. 

Something tells me we should create a new topic for the 776 and 232 rather than keeping this discussion going in a topic originally for WE payphones. 

gpo706

Back on topic for you anyhow GG -

Theres a few listings for GPO payphone locks on the bay UK now, search for "GPO".

TTFN

DavePEI

I don't know if you knew this, but you will also need a T- key to open the phone once you have the locks disabled...

There is one on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vault-Door-T-Key-Tool-Stamped-/250799131365?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64cb0ae5

If you don't get that one, you can get one from Paul, OPW, etc. Likely for no more money.

Basically to open the phone, you need to unlock the mail lock (drill it, find a key, etc.) and then place the T Key in its slot and turn it. Untill you use the T-Key, the phone won't open. Same for the lower lock to get at the coin box.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

gpo706

Aye Dave, my 1C2 came without locks, and the vendor had very obligingly taped a T-key to the body so I could open it - its heavy duty latches on these bodies.

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on April 01, 2011, 02:25:24 AMAlso an email address for Paul would be helpful, I have an AE 3-slot for which I've managed to lose one of the keys and could benefit from having new locks installed or correct keys provided. 

Sure would but too the best of my knowledge he has nothing to do with computers.

Jim S. mentioned that Pauls wife is on ebaY but I was of the understanding that it was his daughter. Her ebaY handle is adele0283 so you should be able to use ebaY to contact her.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AE_collector on April 04, 2011, 08:43:58 PM
I was of the understanding that it was his daughter. Her ebaY handle is adele0283 so you should be able to use ebaY to contact her.

Terry

That is my understanding too.  I have dealt with her many times and have been very satisfied.  The last time I contacted her by e-mail was a couple years ago, and I still have that address if anyone wants to contact me via e-mail or instant messaging I can provide it one-on-one.

I don't like posting other people's e-mail addresses in the open forum without their permission.
-Bill G

dayoff

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but did drilling out or the hammer drill technique work with that 1 slot phone's lower lock?  I have a Western Electric phone and the lower lock is the 30C...just trying to figure out which way to spend the weekend breaking into this thing... I saw the mention of the hammer drill, but I don't think anyone mentioned using it on a 1 slot phone and having it working, just the 3 slots...any tips out there?

Pete

poplar1

Pete, if you have a 3-slot pay phone such as a 234G you can unscrew the back of the phone. If there is no money box you can then remove the coin door lock from behind.

The hammer drill method is needed only for the single slot pay phones such as the WE 1C2 or 1D2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Sounds as though it is a single slot that Pete is working with. I have no experience with this but someone here will have.

Terry

DavePEI

Pete:

With a single slot, unless it came with keys, you really have no options. First try the hammer drill trick. If that fails, you will need to drill the lock. It isn't easy, and in both cases, you should surround the lock bezel with multiple layers of masking tape to protect from scratching. If you aren't comfortable with this, don't do it - take the phone to a locksmith.

Drill down the center of the lock first using a small pilot drill. Gradually increase sizes, until you can get the tumbler out. Then, you need to reach down inside the lock to pry back the latch plate using a small screwdriver. I don't want to say I recommend this, and it gets easier with experience, but it is never easy - I have done 6 locks successfully.

Your best bet is if you have a drill press so you can keep your drilling straight. Molybdenum or Titanium buts work best - even so, because of the hardening inside the lock to discourage drilling, you are likely to break some bits.

But, try the hammer drill trick first. Sometimes you will get lucky, and the screws holding the lock in place will rotate loose, and the lock will fall off inside. Much easier if it works!

Make sure you have an L or T key to complete the unlocking. These are easy to get, and simply insert into their keyhole, twist, and minus the main lock, the phone will open...

If you are nervous about doing it yourself, many locksmiths will do this for a fee.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 21, 2012, 03:55:06 PM
Sounds as though it is a single slot that Pete is working with. I have no experience with this but someone here will have.
Not a fun job, but sometimes it is the only way. The nastiest one I have done was the Millennium with its hardened Medeco lock. Took me over a day to do in spurts!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001