News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick switchhook "bumper"

Started by HarrySmith, April 30, 2012, 07:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

When I got my candlestick parts back from the painter I found a small, half round piece of black plastic or rubber in the box. I had no idea what it was but I did not think it was part of the phone so I threw it away. I now know what it was! It was a piece of the rubber "bumper" that pushes the switch leave. Without it the phone will not hang up. There is still a piece of rubber in the hook. This is not a part I have heard anyone mention nor have I seen one anywhere. Does anyone know about a replacement? I was thinking about putting a small screw or thumbtack in its place. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

zingaro

Ive had the problem of that missing bumper. If you got junk phones  i know the WE 302 uses bumpers in its switch set up. the 500`s dont... Im pretty sure it needs to be a non conductor...z
zingarofunkart
atca# 1463

dencins

It needs to be an insulator.  I have made them in the past by putting rod stock in my drill press and using a file to turn the diameters needed.  Any black rod made of an insulating material will work.  It actually does not need to be black but it looks more original.  The last one I made was from the tool that comes in the Weller soldering kit to hold parts when soldering.  Just use a micrometer to measure the original diameters then keep measuring the part as it is being made.  I usually mess up a couple before getting it right.  

I start by turning the larger diameter then move down about 1/2" and turn the smaller diameter.  I then take it out of the drill press and cut the larger diameter to length that is needed for the bumper thickness then I cut overall length as needed off the other end.  I hope that makes sense.

Dennis Hallworth

LarryInMichigan

Try looking in a good hardware store.  There should be all sorts of things like rubber feet and caps which might be suitable.  The moral of the story is never throw away anything unless you are absolutely certain that you do not and will not need or want it.  Personally, I prefer to drop and lose small parts like that, or to accidentally pick them up with the vacuum cleaner :D

Larry

HarrySmith

The bumper was broken off anyway ::)
Thanks for all the advice, I was not sure if it had to be non conductive.
The hard part was getting the broken piece out of the switchhook. The rubber was rock hard, I ended up having to drill through it and use a dental pick to break it off and remove it. To replace it I used a plastic rivet, the type used for attaching plastic fender liners & splash shields to cars. I pulled out the shaft and the button on it was the perfect size. I cut it to length and shaved it with a razor blade then forced it in with the flat of a screwdriver. Works like a charm!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Bringing my same problem to this thread regarding the 151AL "lamp" I rescued.  Apparently I'm missing the switch hook bumper, but I don't know where exactly it's attached, or it's size and shape.  I'm limited to hand tools if I have to carve one out of something else.  Pictures help.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on May 04, 2012, 12:21:13 PM
Bringing my same problem to this thread regarding the 151AL "lamp" I rescued.  Apparently I'm missing the switch hook bumper, but I don't know where exactly it's attached, or it's size and shape.  I'm limited to hand tools if I have to carve one out of something else.  Pictures help.

It goes into the hole shown in your picture.  I am at work at the moment, so I can't take a photo of one.  

I think the use of a small wood dowel that you can get at any hobby store would do, if you could match the diameter, or get a diameter just slightly larger than the hole and use sand paper to whittle it down.  It then only needs to stick out of the hole about 1/8" or so.

Since the dowels normally come in about 3 foot lengths, you would have a lot of room for experimentation.

The wood dowel should be insulative enough, unless it were to get wet.  You could also try Harry's method and go to NAPA or somewhere that sells the plastic rivets he was talking about.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

How about a thin pencil eraser? 

Larry

Phonesrfun

As you can see, the rubber bumper does not stick out very far.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 07, 2012, 09:29:45 PM
As you can see, the rubber bumper does not stick out very far.

Awesome, thanks again Bill!  I've got plenty of scraps of wood and other stuff that could be made to work.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e