"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brown Bakelite $28

Started by FABphones, November 12, 2018, 01:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Thanks all.  :)

Am just finishing up working on the inside of this phone.

It is put together in a strange way. All of the exterior screws e.g. rear listener hook, front card slip holders, have double functions and also hold some of the internals in place. And those levers are on a rod and slide around. Not an easy phone to take apart/reassemble.  :(    But have cleaned it out, lubricated accordingly, and the levers now move without stiffness. Getting a high shine is next on the agenda. It's looking promising.

Photos will follow soon.  :D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Quote from: Pourme on November 15, 2018, 08:52:53 AM
When you perform your magic on that burled brown finish, it will be stunning!

Can't wait to see the results....

Thank you.  :)

Here it is. I still don't have any special lighting - but I did find a desk light and turn it on!   ;D

I've tried to take same angle photos and added them below as side by side 'before and after' pics.

Internally it remains all original. Thankfully it hadn't been messed around with and just needed a clean up and a little lubrication. I added the two missing ext cards and gave them each a plastic protective slide over cover (as they would have had originally). The frayed line cord has been fed carefully back inside the body and secured with its original metal retainer.

The colour of the Bakelite in my pics looks fairly accurate on my screen, the yellow has photo'd up somewhat vibrant. It's not quite so florescent to the naked eye.  8)

Pourme

Beautiful! I knew that phone would clean up well. You did a wonderful job. It looks very nice!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Great job, very nice addition to your collection.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

tubaman

Good job! 
I know that mottled brown isn't your usual colour, so if it needs a new home...... ;)

Pourme

Quote from: tubaman on November 26, 2018, 10:48:04 AM
Good job! 
I know that mottled brown isn't your usual colour, so if it needs a new home...... ;)

I might could be convinced to find it a place in my collection as well!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

CJ....this is the picture that really shows off the brown color. You did a wonderful job....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

The color difference is amazing.
Now you just need to decide whether to keep it or sell it  for some phone  money.
In your position,  I would probably keep it and enjoy it for at least 6-12 months . Then sell or trade it to get more  mono-chromatic telephones.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Thanks everyone. It means a lot to me if you think it's turned out well.

Working on it millimetre by millimetre I didn't notice just how much the depth of colour had changed. Not until I compared the photos. It's nice to see it shine and get some deep reflection in the gloss.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FABphones on November 26, 2018, 07:45:05 PM
Thanks everyone. It means a lot to me if you think it's turned out well.
You got a great deal. Without doing anything you were already value ahead.
By taking the time to restore it you have added value and preserved a historical artifact. When you decide to sell it, you will (at min) be around  $100-200 USD ahead of the game, plus you got practice and satisfaction of bringing a phone back to it's original glory. Not a bad deal for $28.00 .
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

That is definitely a dramatic transformation. It was so dull and dusty looking, now it has depth and radiance. It's a real keeper for sure. Just pretend it's dark ivory.
Butch Harlow

oldguy

WOW, I would consider expanding the colors of my collection if I were you. That is mow a beautiful phone. Even if you only add it for a while, then sell it. Great job.
Gary

FABphones

Thank you.  :)

Photo with baseplate removed and photo of wiring diagram: HZ 0154.

Prior to looking inside one of these I always thought they needed a 'cupboard' elsewhere with everything needed to make it function. Now, with the info given to me by Mr F who has also taken a look inside, we can see it is PMBX, and very similar to an old GPO 'Crocodile' HES.