News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brown Bakelite $28

Started by FABphones, November 12, 2018, 01:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Sometimes it is hard to keep within my self made boundary of a black, ivory, colour scheme. I know exactly mostly what I'm passing up, but if I don't collect it, I don't collect it.  :-\

I've let some nice phones pass me by lately, but never brown bakelite before. This only $28.

:-[
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

For me it looks like a Siemens before w48 since the handset are so "flat"
dsk

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FABphones on November 12, 2018, 01:36:53 PM
Sometimes it is hard to keep within my self made boundary of a black, ivory, colour scheme. I know exactly what I'm passing up, but if I don't collect it, I don't collect it.  :-\

I've let some nice phones pass me by lately, but never brown bakelite before. This only $28.

:-[
That is cool. I have seen them on ebay in the past. I like all the buttons and the swirl pattern. That is a great price.
It might be worth buying it for resell.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Wrong colour for my collection.... I'm very firm with myself about my collected colour scheme.
...although it could sneak in under 'sepia'...  8)

Looks great in its other photos too.  :-\

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 12, 2018, 01:41:11 PM
It might be worth buying it for resell.
JMO,
Jim S.

Am very very tempted..... That Walnut Burr effect will polish up so nicely.  :)

Jim Stettler

It does look 'sepia'. If you bought it, you could enter it into the find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

RB

That is a great price! I would buy it, but that's just me... :)

Pourme

With a little clean up that phone would be striking....I think you should go for it...figure out where it fits later! ;)
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

I've seen several of these in black, never in Burr Walnut. Interesting that the fingerwheel matches. Nice touch.
Dial dates from early/mid 60's and matching in colour as it does, I would say is original to the phone.

Ecouter still on the back (again, matching), many of these go missing, and often the hook breaks away. That ecouter is yelling out 'polish me'.  ;D

I've decided!  ;)

19and41

I like the looks of "burled" bakelite.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FABphones on November 13, 2018, 02:02:03 PM
g),

I've decided!  ;)
It will look nice in the sepia collection.
JMO,
Jim S.
Don't forget the find of the month.
You live, You learn,

oldguy

I don't think I could pass up that phone for the price.
Gary

I'm sure that phone would look good my collection even if it isn't from North America. :)

FABphones

Early start to the day today. Got it! 25€ (approximately £22, Canadian dollar $37, US dollar $28).

Even nicer than the pics. Lovely smooth Bakelite finish that I think will clean up beautifully. Not a spot of paint to be seen.

Covered in thick dust and quite grubby. All levers in good condition (these are often the first part to break), they will need attention as a few are stiff. Nicotine crust to mouthpiece, endcaps refuse to move. Dial turns but is a tad slow.

Apart from some fraying to cable around mouse hole, all cables original and in good condition. Metal terminal box still attached.

Pleased to find no damage to any part of the phone.

Lots to do today so I can allocate some uninterrupted time to this phone. Will update with pics.

Thanks all. Am pleased I got this.  :)

Quote from: FABphones on November 15, 2018, 05:22:57 AM
Early start to the day today. Got it! 25€ (approximately £22, Canadian dollar $37, US dollar $28).

Even nicer than the pics. Lovely smooth Bakelite finish that I think will clean up beautifully. Not a spot of paint to be seen.

Covered in thick dust and quite grubby. All levers in good condition (these are often the first part to break), they will need attention as a few are stiff. Nicotine crust to mouthpiece, endcaps refuse to move. Dial turns but is a tad slow.

Apart from some fraying to cable around mouse hole, all cables original and in good condition. Metal terminal box still attached.

Pleased to find no damage to any part of the phone.

Lots to do today so I can allocate some uninterrupted time to this phone. Will update with pics.

Thanks all. Am pleased I got this.  :)

Awesome, It should look great all cleaned up and in your collection. It never hurts to keep an open mind.
It's like getting an ugly dog. it's not about how he looks but rather how he makes you feel. LOL

Pourme

~

Good for you, Fab...

When you perform your magic on that burled brown finish, it will be stunning!

Can't wait to see the results....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service