News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A WE cord question

Started by Kenny C, April 27, 2010, 06:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I was wondering what year the curly cords were made and was WE the first one to go it. The reason I am asking this is because we were watching a movie based from 1918-1951 and in the year 1935 They had a 202 with a curly handset cord. was thatt an option in 1935
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

I believe the first WE catalog reference to retractile cords was in the number 10 catalog, 1939.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

oh so it was not possile to have that in 1935
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rp2813

Kenny, you're going to find the wrong vintage of phones in movies from all periods.  Trust me.
Ralph

Kenny C

OK I have noticed that it is usually the house hold appliances that are wrong
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

McHeath

Good eye there Kenny on spotting that incorrect phone.  Now that I pay attention to the phones I notice that wrong ones are all over the place in movies and TV shows.  Especially if they are trying to put the show in the past, they grabbed what looked time period but are not too concerned about getting it exactly right.  I think one of the best examples was a phone in Revolutionary Road, set in the 50's, a modular yellow 554 is in the kitchen. 

I recall watching the first episode of Mad Men, they had a black 500 with a clear fingerwheel on a desk, no earlier than 1965, next to an IBM Selectric from the 70's, and the show was set in 1960. 

But most folks don't care.

Kenny C

I noticed in that movie hair spray (witch was based in 1962) they had a call in voting and every one of the phones had a plastic finger wheel
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010