News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pix of a Couple of My Phones

Started by rp2813, March 19, 2009, 01:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I haven't posted any pictures here yet but had a reason to send a couple of shots to Dennis so I got out my web cam and did the best I could with it.  Here are shots of my beige '59/'63 500 with "new" clear fingerwheel and my 10/50 500.  The 10/50 date isn't the clearest, but hopefully you can make it out.

Ralph
Ralph

McHeath

That 10/50 is a sweet deal.  The earliest I've ever seen any part for a 500 was 1/50, think it was a network that was shown here on our forum.  Did the 10/50 come with that cord and is it dated 1950 if it did?

Bill Cahill

Nice phones. Thanks for the pix.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan

Ralph, does your '50 500 have a  425 A network block with a separate 311 equilizer  that the handset hooks up to or does it have a separate cord mount? Does it have a 7A dial?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

rp2813

Thanks for the comments on the 10/50 phone.  The handset cord is NOS dated 1967 (but still has  the blunt handset end reinforcement) and line cord is NOS 1954.  I got both of them about a year ago from a certain someone who shall remain anonymous.  The handset cord the phone came with was dated 1960 and had some connectivity issues and was a little stretchy, but it was the coiled type also.  I found this phone in a thrift store around 1980 for maybe $5.  At the time I didn't consider 500's collectible but had a feeling this phone was special, especially when I saw the molded strain relief in the handset, so I grabbed it.  It was in a box for over 25 years before I blew the dust off of it about a year ago and put it into service.  The 500 quickly became my vintage phone of choice for its ease of use and I really like the way the compact yet beefy handset feels in my hands and is easy to cradle on my shoulder.  Currently, all vintage phones I have connected are 500's.

The phone is 10/50 throughout except handset elements which are 11/6/50 for the receiver and 7/7/55 for the transmitter.   It has the 425A block with separate 311 equalizer dated 9/?/50.  The 7A dial is also 10/50. 

This phone is my daily driver on my desk and I have the gongs set so I can rotate the thumbwheel to shut the ringer off completely or have it knock me out of my chair.  The coiled handset cord is a more practical arrangement, but should I come across a straight cord, I'll snap it up and hang onto it to make the 10/50 phone more original looking someday.

When I'm able I'll post some pictures from inside the case using a camera that can capture better detail.

Ralph
Ralph