News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

70's Buttset: How Do You Remove Fingerwheel?

Started by rp2813, January 28, 2014, 03:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I just got my hands on a blue early 70's WECO Buttset that's in good shape and just needs a cleaning.  I noticed that the finger stop seems not to be moving smoothly (sort of a scraping sensation) when it repositions itself as the fingerwheel is turned clockwise, and it looks like the wheel needs to be removed in order to take a look at things.

Is this like other plastic spider-mount fingerwheels that require a pin or a paperclip?  There's a small hole between the 5 and 6.

I did a search but didn't find anything on this procedure.

I've attached a picture of a similar set.  Can anyone advise?
Ralph

Contempra

I see a hole between the " 5 " and " 6 " .. insert a pin and lift up the cap.. there a screw or a nut ... I hope that it helps you :)

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rp2813

Thanks for that link -- it really helped.  I had tried to pry the cover off with a thin screwdriver, but didn't want to get too aggressive.

I ran into some trouble after the fingerwheel was off.  The ring below it came off and I hadn't observed how it was positioned.  Without that ring and the thin spring steel washer beneath it, the dial mechanism seemed to have no stopping mechanism.  I had to play with it to get enough return spring action once I figured out how to put things back.

I had a rotary Trimline handy so pulled the cover off that wheel and was able to see how it all went back together. 

The dial is operating smoothly now, and I was able to clean the face plate as well.

Thanks again for the help.
Ralph