need help to identify payphone

Started by gonzo1968, July 17, 2013, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonzo1968

hi all
new here and ty for the add
trying to get info on these payphones i purchased
pics to follow
also trying to convert them to landline and i have spend almost 2 weeks trying to figure out what i need to do.
i have read that all thats needed is connecting to wires(green and red) to a complete conversion.
i am about to go crazy--lol

the phones say BELL-COM
shipped in 1995 from BELL-COM COMMUNICATIONS in florida
Any help--greatly appreciated
ty in advance

poplar1

There may be some screw terminals marked L1, L2 or 1,2 or T, R. This would be where the wire from the outside (red and green usually) would hook up. Follow the wires from the ringer and one of the wires probably goes to the same terminal as one of the incoming line wires.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

It may be the terminal block in the lower left, near the Bel-Com sticker.

gonzo1968

this is the pins above the coin box next to the ringer

poplar1

Quote from: gonzo1968 on July 17, 2013, 08:03:16 PM
this is the pins above the coin box next to the ringer

I would try hooking up the line to red and green here.

AE_Collector

What is Bell-Com? These are AE style payphones except for the chassis. Are they Protels maybe? In any event, yes the lower left terminal strip ios where the line and ground connects on AE/Protel type payphones.

Terry

G-Man

NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla., May 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Bell-Com Communications, Inc. (Bell-Com), one of the nation's largest distributors of private pay telephones, has announced an alliance with Ernest Telecom, a leading manufacturer of pay telephone equipment, and the American School of Pay Telephones and Public Communications, Inc. (ASPPC). These three industry leaders have united to educate individuals and companies that are looking to enter the pay phone or public communications field, knowing that with proper education, assistance and guidance, individuals and companies will become more successful at achieving their goals and aspirations.

Bell-Com is presently assisting seven to eight new clients weekly, with each new client purchasing five to ten payphones. Overall, Bell-Com supports over one thousand phones nationwide for its client base. Due to the rapid success that Bell-Com has enjoyed, they are in the process of opening three additional offices to conduct seminars and schedule training sessions for new clients. An ASPPC education will highlight management, technical and operational skills that are critical to the success of a payphone provider. The ASPPC-provided training will replace services that Bell-Com has been providing to its customers.

The equipment used by Bell-Com is manufactured by Ernest Telecom. Ernest Telecom has manufactured approximately 130,000 pay telephones in its 10 year existence. The featured product, the "7D-3", is the first circuit board in the industry to operate completely from telephone line power. It is also the first product to be managed with a Windows-based program, which allows an individual with little or no experience to effectively manage his or her route.

All Bell-Com clients will reap the benefit of this alliance at no cost.

-0-                       5/11/95

/CONTACT: Mr. Zimmerman, Bell-Com Communications, 800-940-8455/

CO: Bell-Com Communications, Inc.; Ernest Telecom; American School of

Pay Telephones and Public Communications, Inc. ST: Florida IN: TLS SU:

KM-RK -- FL001 -- 5507 05/11/95 09:11 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1995 PR Newswire Association LLC

gonzo1968

thank you everyone for response
i connected the green and red from landline to payphone

Payphone rings but i cant make calls or receive them

I called landline(payphone) from my cell --it rings
but when i pickup handset it keeps ringing
and I cant call out

any ideas??
and what are the other 2 wires for --yellow and black??

AE_Collector

G-man: reading the "press release" I am thinking "when was this written"!  Ahh 1995. I am sure that things aren't quite that rosy around that Head Office now!

Terry

ESalter

My dad and I were talking about this very thing just the other night.  We were talking about all of the payphone refurbishing companies and such that were around in the 90s and how right now there are practically none.  I'm surprised even the newer manufacturers have managed to stay in business.

---Eric

poplar1

Quote from: gonzo1968 on July 18, 2013, 11:12:40 AM

and I cant call out

any ideas??

Yellow may be for ground. Do you see a model number on the phone anywhere?

gonzo1968

the only model number that i see is on the board

EARNEST TELECOMM INC.  MODEL D3
and a sticker that say---DP6492 also on the board

but nothing on the actual phone

G-Man

Some Random Thoughts-

The reason that I included the whole press release is to provide context and contact information even though I don't know if any of it is valid at this point. Have you tried to contact Ernest or Bell-Com yet?

If they are no longer supporting it you may have a brick or perhaps payphones.com or 411payphones may be able to assist you.

If so, you will first need to confirm that your instrument has a 7D-3 board. I believe Dave Hunter went through a similar problem with a 7D-1 board so you may want to contact him to see if he how he was able to resolve his problems.

The payphone in the photo still has plastic around the bottom and the original box it was shipped in can be seen in the background. It looks as if it is new and has the original keys as well. A manual should have also been included. Who did you acquire your payphones from? Can they assist you?

Since these are smart payphones they may need to be programmed first. Also, what type of line are you connecting them to? Since it is most likely line powered (some weren't despite the press release) then the line will need to provide a certain level of voltage and current. Also, the on-board memory battery may have to be charged by leaving the payphone connected to the telephone line or it may have to be replaced.

Instead of being forced to purchase Ernest Telelink programming software for $400-bucks or so, at one time they would program your phone over the telephone line for about $20.00.

G-Man

You say you cannot make calls nor receive them.

In attempting to make a call, when you lift the handset do you hear a dial-tone or is the line totally dead? When you blow into the transmitter can you hear yourself?

As far as answering a call, often that is a programmable feature. In some neighborhoods the police insisted that the ability to answer incoming calls be disabled in order to discourage the use of payphones for drug dealing.

Quote from: gonzo1968 on July 18, 2013, 11:12:40 AM

and I cant call out

any ideas??

gonzo1968

this is becoming a nightmare--lol

no dialtone amd when i blow on it --nothing

payphones.com will not program ernest boards
emailed 411payphone  they do but waiting for reply

bell-com is no longer in exitence

these are NIB never installed and i am guessing never programmed for install--no manual
got them off craigslist

i think its a d3 board