"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Making a WE551A Functional - Work In Progress

Started by ramegoom, August 03, 2017, 10:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Ramegoom,

I didn't know about the meter you found inside the switchboard until I read your FOM post. Talk about good luck on top of good luck! I don't know much about these meters but, the meter may be worth the price you paid.

Oh well...Perhaps I'll win FOM another time! Ha!...You got my vote!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

ramegoom

I didn't have the key for the top door when I got the switchboard. So I had to fabricate a "pick" to get it open. At first I thought the meter was an integral part of the system until I realized it was likely just stored in it.

1.5v. battery was dated 1996 and for some reason, it didn't leak out...The 30 volt battery had a 1995 date code on it, dead as a door nail. Found one on Amazon that fits fine, but can't find an original BELL SYSTEM battery anywhere.

The previous owner kept this machine well oiled!

ramegoom

Latest project update:

I added an 18 volt power supply to the inside. Then added a 66 punchdown block to the tan cable, picked up most of the station lines. So I now have the power supply wired in to the MISC block, just want some verification that it's right (haven't powered it up yet). Installed a cord set in one mouse hole - the other mouse hole will get the gray cable from the 66 block.

Next, I have this 30Hz ringing supply box which I need some guidance to where it gets wired. The switchboard has the crank, but there's also a switch in the front panel that lets me select between the crank and (probably) an external ring source. So. I need to find which terminals attach between the MISC block and this ring power supply. I think I have it as terminals 36 and 27 but need some verification.

Close to testing now. Once I get it working on the bench, I'll run wires throughout the room. Five phones accumulated already for the project.

ramegoom

Found a nice spot inside for the Ring Generator, right next to the DC power supply. Making headway. Next move is to test the system with phones plugged in.

ramegoom

Update: Got the 551A up and running, works almost 100% (station 9 is dead) and rigged it up in my game room. Put a keystone patch panel in the ceiling beam where all the phone jacks attach.

Thanks, folks, for getting me started in yet another collection hobby. Just what I need! I really do appreciate all your input for getting me to understand this system. I started out knowing only the bare minimum about phones - just a couple of months ago. And, thanks for pushing me in the right direction with this switchboard. It's a beautiful survivor now.

Anyway, it works as it did back in the 40's, and as of today, I have nine phones in the system. Recent addition is a Kellogg 900, working on getting it to ring. I'll be adding more as space and time permits. Here's the collection so far, all in place and all are functional:

TelePlay

Nice,

And you have a lot more phones than I thought you did.

ramegoom

ramegoom

Made some headway today. I put the Kellogg phone in as a "CO" line, added a small 3 volt power supply feeding the phone, and wired it as Line 1 CO. Four wires to this phone; BAT 3 volts, and L1, L2.

When I hit the crank, the lamp illuminates on the switchboard so it appears to work properly. I also installed a lighted rocker switch to the front jack panel center hole that turns on the main power to the switchboard. Need to test the audio next.

tanderson78

Fantastic!  Can you come over to my house and do something similar to my 552?  Lol

Babybearjs

wonder how many nights you stayed awaked trying to figure out your next move... I hate nights like that....when your mind just won't shut down because you want to get the problem/project solved/finished.... looks like you have a big system.... good luck with it!
John

ramegoom

Babybear, you hit it on the head! Now that this project is fully functional, looking for the next is always in the wings. Since then, I picked up a 1951 Stoner candy vendor, stripped, sandblasted and had it repainted and clearcoated. Mechanically perfect, looks new, even added lighting on the mirror and candy slots, and now, on to the next. What to do, what to do.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice!
I am so happy we were able to convince you to not gut that board! Also it looks like you have contracted Phoneitis, just like the rest of us. From 1 phone to a room full of working phones in 2 months! Welcome to the madness :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ramegoom

Can't thank you enough for talking me off the ledge. Having a fully functional board is just too cool.

But now you started me in yet another obsession. Find myself looking for old phones all the time now. Yah. Thanks!