"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking For Wiring Information For 51AL Candlestick, #5 Dial and a 685A Subset

Started by gands-antiques, December 07, 2015, 02:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I'm looking for wiring Information using the combination of a 51AL Candlestick, #5 Dial and a 685A Subset.  The subset has a 425E Network.

I have a 685A Northern Electric subset and a 685A Western Electric subset and the internals of both look physically the same except for the names imprinted on the covers. Is there any difference between the two subsets?

Last question...what is the correct base covering material for a 51AL, leather or felt, and if it is felt what color should it be?

Thanks a lot,
Gary

Phonesrfun

The 51AL was not originally connected to a 685 subset.  The 425 series networks did not come into existence until the 1950's.  The 51AL would have been connected to a sidetone subset such as the 534A. 

The 685A subset which has the 425E subset can be used with a 51AL, but that wiring is not something that is published in normal documents.  I know we have a wiring diagram here on the forum of connecting a 102 to a 685A subset, and the connection would be the same.  I will look for it and update this post.  <Edit>  See the diagram below.  For a more complete description behind this wiring, please refer to:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.msg9309#msg9309  Go to post #1 of the thread.

Note that this diagram shows a red, green, yellow and black wire to the phone.  A sidetone phone has no  black wire, so just ignore that part.  See the thread for complete details. 

Just so you know, if you go to the TCI document library you can find three files on the 51AL.  One is the wiring diagram of the phone itself, the second is a cord routing diagram, and the third is a wiring diagram of the phone connected to a 534A subset.  See this page:  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/western-electric/cat_view/92-wiring-diagrams-technical-library/142-western-electric/337-desk-stands

I am not an expert on anything Northern Electric, but a 685A NE subset with a NE 425E network should be identical to the Western Electric. 

I am also not an expert on candlesticks, but all mine have brown felt on their bases.  The only leather bases I have seen are on "D" bases (I.E. 202).  Someone else can probably give you more information.
-Bill G

gands-antiques

Thanks Bill,

I really appreciate the information you provided.  I have a couple of 634A subsets and one 534A that I would like to hang on to.  If for some reason the 685A subset won't work I could use one of them. 

I will try the diagram you sent and see how it goes. I used it a few years ago when I was wiring a 202 and a #4 dial and also when I wired a 102B and a #4 dial but I didn't know if it would work with a 51AL and a #5 dial.

Thanks again Bill....

Gary