News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3 Conductor Line Cord Question?

Started by Dewdrop, March 12, 2011, 05:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

Will a 3 Conductor Line (phone to wall) Cord work on a Western Electric hardwired 500?

I'm looking for the following colors: Aqua Blue, Red, Pink, & Orange.

THANKS
Debbie
Debbie

Phonesrfun

To answer the question, yes.  A regular 500 needs 2 conductors, and the colors of those are usually red and green.  A third yellow wire was always furnished on the 500 for a method of grounding party line ringers.  If you get three conductor hard-wired cords you can't go wrong.

I don't have a supply of cords, however.  :(

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dewdrop on March 12, 2011, 05:40:43 PM
Will a 3 Conductor Line (phone to wall) Cord work on a Western Electric hardwired 500?

I'm looking for the following colors: Aqua Blue, Red, Pink, & Orange.

THANKS
Debbie
Debbie...check this out, not mine....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200585478141
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Debbie, reference the ebay listing Doug posted.  Although many cords are shown there, the auction's Buy It Now price is for only ONE cord.  You pick the color.

GG

On the East Coast, 3-conductor cords were standard and 4-conductor cords were often found.  I have never seen a stock 500 set or 2500 set with a 2-conductor cord furnished by the Bell System. 

Anyone who has seen Bell-issued sets with 2-conductor cords (not modular), I'd be interested to hear about where those were used. 

Phonesrfun

I probably should clarify. 

The 500 always came with three conductors.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Sometimes I get carried away with trying to be too precise.   I was trying to point out the fact that since ther are only 2 conductors coming into the house, the phone itself only really needs 2 as well, now that nobody has party lines any more.  :)

The fact is there are only going to be three conductor cords out there.

Somewhere, though, I know I have seen a 2-conductor line cord, I believe on a 302, but my memory is not what it used to be.
-Bill G

Dewdrop

Thanks Bill, Doug, Dennis, & GG for the info.

Doug, I had that auction on my ebay list. There doesn't seem too many of those listed lately on ebay or I'm just not finding them.

I did notice it was for one cord.

Debbie
Debbie

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dewdrop on March 12, 2011, 09:17:26 PM
Thanks Bill, Doug, Dennis, & GG for the info.

Doug, I had that auction on my ebay list. There doesn't seem too many of those listed lately on ebay or I'm just not finding them.

I did notice it was for one cord.

Debbie
[/quote  Debbie....I won the original auction and there was no mention of one cord so he ended the auction. I thought I had a deal. ....Doug
Kidphone