News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick Parts

Started by wds, September 09, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up this Federal Candlestick a while back for parts, it has the bottom plate, and only seemed to be missing the transmitter and receiver arm.  After it arrived I noticed that it didn't have an openng for the receiver arm, and does not have a hookswitch.  Obviously this must have been some sort of a microphone.  Has anyone seen a Federal like this before?  Since there is no "push to talk" switch, the mic must have been hot all the time.  Now I'm thinking about putting the correct transmitter back on it and putting it on the shelf with the other candlesticks.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Is that nickel plate peeking though the chips in the paint?

Larry

TelePlay

A new listing just came up on ebay with the item listed as a "1930's T-32 Candlestick Microphone" and it looks similar but in better condition and complete. Even has a coiled 1/8th inch tip-ring plug and a "press to talk" button on the stick. Does this match what you have?

Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300776842335

And photos for posterity . . .

LarryInMichigan

This one is a Kellogg.

Larry

wds

I'll check to see if it's stainless steel or maybe nickel tonight - what a find that would be.  Not too many SS federals out there.  I think its just the steel showing through.
Dave

paul-f

Here's one from the photo collection...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wds

Thanks for the photo.  That seems to be what I have.  Do you know what the purpose of the phone is?  Is there a link to the site where you got the picture from?
Dave

Doug Rose

its a microphone...I remember on in my elementary school when I was just a kid....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 10, 2012, 10:48:49 AM
its a microphone...I remember on in my elementary school when I was just a kid....Doug

My elementary school used a big hollowed out stone :D

Larry

wds

Usually there's a on/off switch (push to talk) on the stick somewhere.  This one must have the switch on the main board somewhere, otherwise it would always be on.  Guess this one is no longer a parts phone, but another one to be restored.  Only paid $5 for it, so I'm happy.
Dave

wds

I checked and don't think it's stainless - magnet sticks to the phone.  I'll be stripping the paint pretty soon and I'll find out if it's nickel or not, but I think it's just steel.

Here's another project phone I picked up.  2nd or 3rd Couch candlestick (losing count).  This one is a little different than all the others I've seen.  Perch is similar to a Deveau and a Chicago C/S I have.  I need to find a receiver arm for it, but otherwise it's all original.  The base plate should be steel and wood plate on the bottom - this has the steel plate, but the wood plate is gone.  Shouldn't be too hard to reproduce wood plate.

Also recently picked up this American Electric model 7 desk phone.  Great condition other than the missing base ring. 
Dave

K1WI

Western Electric also made candlestick shafts without switch hook or push to talk openings for broadcast or general purpose  microphones.  Here's two  , a WECO 389W and a D90801.

Andy F      K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 10, 2012, 06:50:46 AM
This one is a Kellogg.

Larry

Not to beat a dead mic here but it seems the T-32 is also a Kellogg stick mic but one used in the military? Different style from the one found in this thread.

Found this listing on Worthpoint "KELLOGG SIGNAL CORP CANDLESTICK MICROPHONE T32" from about a year and a half ago.

http://tinyurl.com/9uyv9re

And another posterity photo.

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on September 10, 2012, 07:48:33 PM
Also recently picked up this American Electric model 7 desk phone.  Great condition other than the missing base ring. 

Gary Goff for a replacement rubber ring. Same size as the 1A ring.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

There are two of the Kellogg T-32s on ebay now for cheap (item #251149825878)