News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Orange 302

Started by Doug Rose, August 30, 2018, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have an orange 302 that was painted. I had someone looking at my collection that said I should have a Howard johnson's Dial card for it. I saw some cream lids on eBay which would be cool. Too big and a tad to much wear though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOWARD-JOHNSONS-RESTAURANT-AND-PRAIRIE-FARMS-CREAM-CAPS-ILLINOIS-IL-ILL/283123163922

?hash=item41eb74a312:g:ShQAAOSwPFFbgVuJ

Anyone ever seen a HJ dial card?...Just thinking out loud....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Just resize that one in a photoshop style program.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Nick in Manitou

It is amazing how something so ubiquitous can disappear without my noticing!

According to Wikipedia, there is only one Howard Johnson's restaurant still out there.

Also, I had never noticed that there were different logos for the restaurant and for the hotels; one with a chef a kid and a dog - the other with a lamp lighter and a kid.

Attached is a copy of the image from an early 1940s matchbook cover advertising the Howard Johnsons in Dedham, Mass. (I copied this image from http://www.highwayhost.org/Massachusetts/Restaurants/Dedham/dedham1.html )

I don't suppose that this input helps at all in your search for a dial center...

Nick

Doug Rose

Nick..... I had been there many times. I will try to work on the match book cover to get what I need...it is very cool....many thanks.

I just need the top with with Dedham MA and the logo..Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

That scan got me thinking of other former HJ locations near me -- which led to this site:

http://www.highwayhost.org/Stategateways/massachusetts.html

You can find lots more photos and materials to use in crafting a number card. There is even info on a former location in Framingham.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Paul....Framingham was on the Pike....where the Service Exit is now just after Rte 30 heading to Boston.  I remember the one in Canton as we'll.....Doug
Kidphone

GLadstone

Hi Doug Rose,

You may have already found this, but just in case, here is a topic that may be of interest to you:

Howard Johnson's Number Card

Take care,
GLadstone

Doug Rose

thanks GLadstone....very nice...I do appreciate it...Doug
Kidphone

GLadstone

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 30, 2018, 10:42:47 PM
thanks GLadstone....very nice...I do appreciate it...Doug

Hi Doug,

Glad to help!  :)

Take care,
GLadstone

Doug Rose

Still having a bit of trouble sizing the matchbook (thanks Nick!!) into a dial card, but this is where I am at. Removing the old dial card in the retainer ring I took a chip of paint off. I was being careful as I usually scratch paint off installing a retainer ring NOT removing. Mild temper tantrum  >:( Alright not that mild  8). But it is now irreversible. It is a fake and not real.....move forward.

BUT....I always thought the dial blank was too much orange so now I had to add a dial. I didn't like a 6D with the clear fingerwheel, so I went with a 5H with brass fingerwheel and retainer ring with the top of the matchbook. No quite there yet but this is how it looks.

I also like the dial card from Adam via GLadstone so I will try that as well.

Work in progress....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug   ....   Here are a couple of pictures of a Western 1940, 302 I sold several years ago, and which I painted W.E. / N.E. color code red-53, and installed a nickel plated finger wheel and number card retainer.     The dial and finger wheel looked pretty sharp with that combination.        Your "orange" set isn't that far off my set insofar as color goes.      Jut a thought, and another possible option to consider.  Double click to enlarge.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff...I like it, but at the moment I do not have a chrome finger wheel....it is a really nice combination....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug   ....    Just sent you a PM.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff your Red 302 reminds me of my Blood Red 302, which I think is the rarest of the 302 colors....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  .....    Yes it certainly does, and I think your right as to it's rarity.   It's also one of the nicest colors in which the 302's were produced.

Jeff