News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cracks in Plastic - what worked for me

Started by markosjal, May 10, 2017, 11:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I knew there was a way to get off the crack ..

I recently purchased on princess phone that I was aware had a crack in the plastic at time of purchase. I have for a few years now considered myself a "Plasti Loca Artist" I have fixed everything from melted light bulb sockets on cars to even forming a part for a radio controlled car.

this is one way to prevent further cracking and to stabilize the crack. While I was there, as the plastic was getting somewhat brittle I reinforced it where it is most likely to crack.

First you must have a fairly clean crack. If it gaps open this will probably not work. I imagine fresh cracks clean up best.

You will use super glue from the inside of the telephone shell , ensuring not to be sloppy but opening the crack slightly to ensure it gets inside. you need to make sure the crack comes together as straight as possible while the super glue sets.

Wait one day . It really does take some time to set fully.

if possible sand off excess glue from where it was applied inside of the telephone shell. It does not need to be pretty but you need to ensure that the crack was glued fairly straight from the outside at this point. The sanding removes excess glue and prepares the surface for the next step.

Secondly, after sanding we will use what is often called "Plasti Loka" . I buy this in Mexico as "Plasti Loca" https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/c7h/Plasti-Loka-02670002-Epoxy-Putty-Dual-Component/B00G49SU30
This is an epoxy that is like clay and easily forms.  We will apply a thin layer this to the inside of the housing after mixing. Be sure to cover the entire crack. All we need is a very thin layer and if the plastic seems brittle you can do as I did and use it to reinforce the plastic wherever needed but it is best to sand it some first.. You can use a thicker layer but as most cracks appear on the edge of the plastic , you may need to keep in mind accommodating the base. You can install the base temporarily while the Plasti Loca is still pliable and see where it has gouged the plasti loca and remove some of the plasti loca or make it thinner if necessary.

WAIT ONE FULL DAY FOR PLASTI LOCA TO SET FULLY.

Now that the plasti loca has set we will use a fine sandpaper on the exterior side of the crack. You may need coarser if you have a crooked glue job followed by finer sanding later.

Then we use 0000 steel wool on the crack

followed by a buffing.

Your crack now appears nothing more than a minor scratch and should in no way keep cracking more

When I first did this on the princess phone I impressed myself. Later I discovered that there as also a split at the top of the handset. I made an error on this split so it did not turn out as nicely. I applied the super glue from the outside so this left me with a greater discoloration but the split was fixed and will not grow. The dried super glue resembles a fine hair embedded in the plastic now.

ONLY APPLY THE SUPER GLUE FROM THE INSIDE FOR THE CLEANEST FIX.

If there is interest I can post pics.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on May 10, 2017, 11:22:50 PM
If there is interest I can post pics.

Mark,

Yes, there is interest so please post pictures.

Also, which superglue do you use, water thin, normal or thick?

Dan/Panther

The rule is, no pictures it didn't happen. LOL

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

markosjal

Yes DID NOT HAPPEN............

But it saya
"Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator."

so I can not upload images. Same camera I used for other images posted here!

markosjal

here is the outside of the base. I could not see this with my eyes and glasses on. I had to run my fingernail along the edge to find it and to photograph it , hold it in the light just right\

Then you will see the handset that I botched because I put the super glue (Cola Loca branaded in Mexico) on the OUTSIDE , not the inside DUH! It looks like a fine hair embedded in the plastic. Again this is exaggerated because I had to hold it in the light just right to get it to show. Its not as bad as it looks here.

The third pic is inside of handset.

markosjal

Here is the same phone with other creative uses of Plasti Loka

First as the handset cord retainer was damaged on this phone, I built a "Bridge".

Second is the bridge in place

Third is the bridge in place with cord

Fourth needs no explanation.

markosjal

And here is the phone

Thanks to the guys here who so kindly sent me dial parts (add names here) I was able to make this dial look great. in hindsight as this is not a WE , nor NE , nor ITT it does not have illumination on the dial (also lacks the inset rectangle and ridge on front giving the Princess a smoother appearance), I probably should have used something more like  porcelain number ring like on a 5H dial. This phone does have the original circa 1959 Western Electric (big) Network and Dial and I knew the WE Princess parts would fit it.

Mark

markosjal

More info on Plasti Loca or Plasti Loka and one alternative.

markosjal

For anyone interested in this "Plasti Loka" solution I will have some packages on the way from Mexico  in about a month.
See here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27439.0