"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1234Gs, Finally Being Restored!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 29, 2015, 08:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks Stan!

I ordered the powder, it should be here in the next few weeks.

I've been cleaning/polishing all of the internal parts. I also ultrasonically cleaned the faceplate, followed by a thorough polishing with Brasso. It looks brand new now!

I still need a scan of one of the 10 button payphone instruction cards. Does anybody have one?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Stan S

Christian

These should print the proper size.
(We can only hope).
See attached.
Stan S.

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks for the scans!

Do you know what the barrel locks were used for? Maybe just extra security?

The donor backboard doesn't have the section that the barrel lock in the upper attaches to. Is that a common part, or something that was built specifically for these 3 slots?
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Christian - There was one of these locks that sold very recently on Ebay (link and auction pic below).  The bolt is very hard to find nowadays, and this one sold for $65 complete.  The bolt head serves also as one of 4 security studs when the phone was mounted on a 174A back plate.  Newer back boards had the bosses for those studs from the factory, I believe - your beige 197 was retrofitted with them during refurb.  The barrel lock was very common on newer WE 3-slots such as 233G and 236G phones.

http://ebay.com/itm/302184277651

These were added in the early-mid 60s, I believe, to prevent vandals from prying the upper open by lifting to overcome the 10G/H lock.  Stan probably has additional detail.....and he can also correct errors I may have made in this post.
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Should I leave the current barrel lock there for asthetics (and hope I find the correct bolt in the future), or change it out for a blank?
Christian Petterson

Jim Stettler

I would leave it. It looks right, and a plug wouldn't.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

I'm with Jim on this.  I would leave the locks in place.  They are correct, and the phones will look proper on the outside.  My avatar 236G is missing the bolt as well, but the lock remains in place.
Paul

Payphone installer

Christian since I would like to see at least of of these tops preserved I will make you a deal. I wil ship you a entire 1234 G in black which is one of the rarest colors. There are a few parts missing and the chrome is damaged. But I think you have what you need to complete it. I will even ship it for free. All you need to do is ship me on of the uppers that is untouched. I will post pictures of the phone today.

Payphone installer

here is what you are dealing with. Years ago Phonco got there hands on lots of 1234G's which at the time were consitered junk. They were converted to rotary by cutting out parts removing certain guts and installing a rotary dial on the front. N Iotice this black phone was green which is still under the paint. your upper short mof the internal ringer will restore this phone . And it is a vauable phone when complete. Here are the pics. Jim

Payphone installer

More pics,note the welded in tray. You will have a few remaining parts to find I probably have most. jim

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks for the offer, Jim, but I feel that my uppers are more complete, and have more vital parts like the faceplate that would be impossible to replace. Either way, I wouldn't be preserving the original paint and would be repainting either one green.

Again, thanks for the offer, but I would rather stick with restoring the two 1234s I already have.
Christian Petterson

Payphone installer

I expected the answer that I got from you,restoring a fine antique to a accurate time line as it was in the day is a dying art. You helped me confirm that belief. Good luck on your project.

RotarDad

Christian - I was cleaning out some surplus phone-related stuff and I wondered if you'd like this "dummy" vault door.  If will need some work to smooth the scratches/small dings on the front, but painted (powder coated?) green or as polished AL it would look nice on one of 1234Gs until you find a vault door.   If you'd like it, PM me your address and I'll mail it out.  I almost tossed it, but then remembered you may have at least a temporary use for it.
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks Paul, but I don't think I'll need it. I think I'll wait to get a real door!

I may consider (or at least let others consider) getting it to use on a payphone for resale. I already have one in my parts stash from my 197G, so I'm set for now! ;)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I sent a handset cap to Columbia Coatings for color matching powdercoat back in January or early February. It took them awhile, but they sent back a couple swatches of similar Greens; one was a stock color, the other custom mixed. The custom mixed color was actually not done very well, and was actually too green; the stock color was much closer! It's slightly less brown than the 2nd coat on the upper housing, but the original paint underneath is actually less brown than the 2nd coat.

I ordered 2 pounds of the new powder, and while I wait for it to arrive, I'll be sandblasting/chemically stripping the housing parts for my first 1234G.
Christian Petterson