News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Monikers/Handles/Names

Started by Doug Rose, February 08, 2010, 12:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Going to revive this thread yet again. Why, because I have always wondered about Ray's "Kleenax" handle. I know his last name begins with K but that is where the similarity ends. Maybe Ray will read this thread and "Splain"!

Terry

kleenax

Heh;

Terry, it's a long story, but I will shorten it :)

Back in 1994, when I was at home with the flu, I was about to sign-up for on-line gaming playing QUAKE, and I needed a "handle". Well, as I coughed and hacked, I reached for.........a Kleenex tissue and it was plain-as-day! Except they had always been "Kleenax" to me, not Kleenex, so I chose my "Kleenax" moniker, and have it to this day.

Trust me; if you see "Kleenax" ANYWHERE, it is most likely me!  After selecting Kleenax as my handle back in 1994, I have used it on everything that I do on-line, and have NEVER had to see, "sorry, that handle has already been taken; please choose another".

Now you know the rest-of-the-story!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Why is it that there about 2 people on this forum that use their real names? It makes it a little more personal when you know who you are talking to, and it seems just a little more respectable in my opinion. I've got nothing to hide, that's why I post my real name.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Probably a few more than two using real names or at least some of their real name. I recall kidphone saying the same thing and then changing his forum name to Doug Rose.

I spend a bit of time asking myself "who again is he really" and I wonder who he really is. This forum is dedicated to letting everyone be who they want to be as long as they are playing nice so I think everyone is okay with it. My name is too long to remember and too hard to spell!

That's my thoughts on the topic,

Terry Biddlecombe

ESalter

I completely agree with Ray, but at the same time I see the other side of things too.  I don't hesitate to use my name.  I don't think I've signed anything with my last name(until now), but it's really not that hard to figure out.  Among 99% of people I've met in this hobby, I don't want to remain anonymous.  You're all great people, and I want to know who you are, and I want you to know the same about me.  I'm all the time talking to my dad about "The guys on the phone forum".  I guess it seems like a family type atmosphere here is what I'm trying to say.  It's a great community and I'm very proud to be a part of it.

Then the other side is the casual people that sign up to ask questions or such, they don't see it the same way and want to remain anonymous.  I'd feel the same way if I had to sign up for a car forum or something just to ask a question.

I guess that's an overly complicated way of just saying "I agree". 

---Eric Salter

Phonesrfun

Like many, I have a handle that is not my name, but I prefer to use my name in each post.  I guess that'w why my name is in bold face at the end of every message.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Dan "Panther" Robinson, Esquire

'Blues Guitar player extraordinaire'

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

stub

Mine is on the bottom left of page.  ;D   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

I found the old thread where we discussed this topic so I've merged the discussions together. Ironically Ray was the last to post in the old thread and first in the new post. Looks like he just carried on from almost a year ago.

Terry

DavePEI

Nice to see why some people use their online name rather than real one. For me, it is a bit half and half. Cautious about people seeing my full name, but it isn't any secret, I use DavePEI. The reason for that, is I don't see my collection as being mine, but the museum collection, and I want people to associate it with the museum and the Island, and not only with me. The museum is in my consideration every time I make an addition, and I try to keep items I add as varied as possible. So, for me, the DavePEI is a combination of both if that makes any sense. To me, I want to see the collection long outlast me, and the plan is for my son to continue it when I am gone. I am the only one on PEI trying to preserve our telecommunications history, which makes it even more important. It is a real stretch to continue paying for repairs, insurance and taxes for both our home, and for the museum building, and to keep adding, but well worth it.

Dave Hunter
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Quote from: dsk on February 23, 2010, 03:22:18 AM
Hi I am Dag Ståle Karlsen and use dsk.

A loooong foreign name, obviously hard to pronounce for many :)

Feels it more or less frightening enough with my not so good English, if you shouldn't have an impossible name to deal with too.

It is even possible to translate: Dag= day, Ståle = Steel, and Karlsen= son of Charles (Charlesson???)

dsk is quick and easy, and I'll guess it gives me a kind of identity too??

I have much more problem with seeing people on different forums with different id's.

The username dsk was not free, so I got d_s_k

dsk
Quote from: foots on February 23, 2010, 03:26:51 AM
Cool name Dag. I have often wondered how to pronounce that "a" with the little circle above it.

Now its solved the underscores are gone.
I will still keep on using dsk, and this is more or less my identity. Some people just call me dsk.
How does it sound?
Enclosed is a little sound file.

dsk

Russ Kirk

For me, I don't use a moniker because I cannot think of a good one that fits me...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

Quote from: dsk on October 19, 2012, 06:59:08 AM
Now its solved the underscores are gone.

It is definitely easier to type dsk as compared to d_s_k!

Terry

Dennis Markham

When I first started with eBay I couldn't think of any fancy name and decided to just use my name.  For a long time it was simply (one word) dennismarkham.  Because of that when I started to sell a few phones on eBay a fellow collector, Bob Loeser recognized my name and we reacquainted after many years.  We had worked together when I was still in high school.  But I always just figured I didn't have anything to hide (not that people that don't use their real names do).  So when joining the Forum it made sense to just use my name.  I have since switched my eBay name to VintageRotaryPhones----and I still have nothing to hide. :)  

Sargeguy

My friend who's nickname was "Joe-Guy" was setting up my nickname to access a server  back in 1990.  He needed 8 characters and "Sarge" (short for Sargeant) was to short, so he added "guy" to the end partly in revenge for the stupid nickname we had given him years earlier.  I have used it ever since.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409