News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pull down reel lights

Started by McHeath, December 22, 2008, 05:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Here's a couple of pictures of the remaining pull down reel lights in my house.  The first one is my favorite, it looks like a UFO and is in a brass finish.  It will pull down about another 18 inches.  The duplicate of this light was the kitchen light that I threw away ( :'() when I moved in.

The other light is more ornate, kinda seems a little American Colonialish to me, if you recall that style.  the finish is brass I guess, I thought it was more coppery but on further inspection I think that's jut a trick of the light in the room with the maple paneling.  The kitchen and this room are maple paneled, and I almost painted it over when I moved in as well but a friend talked me out of it.  (luckily) 

Both of these lights have three bulbs and you can adjust them for how many bulbs will be on.  They are original to the house, so they are 1966' vintage, more or less. 

Steve

The ones I had were very similar to the first pic you posted.

The biggest differences are, bright copper. not brass. the outside of the lamp in your first pic, the copper part comes all the way down the sides. (the opaque part was only up, underneath, inside the bottom of the fixture.)  a ring for a pull, and the trim piece at the top of the light itself was U.F.O. shaped like the reel portion that store's the cord.

does that make sense?

sorry for any confusion, I'm on my third Knob Creek, and finishing my Montechristo :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

TIPandRING

Well, those that know me under another alias on another message board know that I'm currently (well for the past 4 years now) restoring my house and "updating it" to the cold war era :D

The house was built in 1963, but I'm installing and furnishing it a couple year prior for a more period correct look.

After much searching, I was able to find the EXACT flying saucer / ufo lamp I wanted. I restored it and installed it above the kitchen table where a previously ugly looking  lamp was. :o

Here it is:

McHeath

Nice nice kitchen!  You've done a good job recreating the period look.  All you need now is a bomb shelter!  We have a mixed period/current day look in our place, my wife is much more fond of the creature comforts of today mixed with the post war era stuff, and I'm more fond of the pure mid century look.  I really like that table, is that an original?

Steve

Nice looking kitchen! I have an old 50's table like that. mine is black and white laminate. our Daughter has her own place now, so shes using it.

our place is way more diverse, ( eclectic?) most of out furnishings are 1890's - 1940's.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

TIPandRING

Thanks guys :)

Yes, the table is original. I got a great deal on it at an estate auction. What a story--it was the very last item to sell (complete table with 2 matching chairs) inside a rickety old bldg. during a major rain and thunderstorm. ::)

I hate the modern "retro" crap that you buy nowadays. Sure it kinda looks like it might be vintage, but it's all foreign components--garbage! 

I spent A LOT of time cleaning and polishing it all up. Took me a while to find a dinette set in yellow to match my custom color scheme.

Mark Stevens

Those are great lights McHeath, but I think T&R's gets the George Jetson Mid-Century Design Award! I'll have to take a photo of the one in our kitchen.  Like the rest of our home, it's very colonial, and once had a matching lamp in the den. (which was given the heave-ho in favor of a ceiling fan in the '70s)
Hey wait...I just found a photo from "back in the day" (sometime in the '70s) that shows the one in the den! Yes, that's yours truly in the foreground.  ;)  The one in the kitchen has the reel part, whereas the one shown here was at a fixed height.

Steve

Quote from: Mark Stevens on December 30, 2008, 11:20:09 AM
Those are great lights McHeath, but I think T&R's gets the George Jetson Mid-Century Design Award! I'll have to take a photo of the one in our kitchen.  Like the rest of our home, it's very colonial, and once had a matching lamp in the den. (which was given the heave-ho in favor of a ceiling fan in the '70s)
Hey wait...I just found a photo from "back in the day" (sometime in the '70s) that shows the one in the den! Yes, that's yours truly in the foreground.  ;)  The one in the kitchen has the reel part, whereas the one shown here was at a fixed height.

Woot!

Mr. Mark Stevens, and a copper reel light!

I bet there is a white 554 behind him?

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,