Main Menu

zinc 302

Started by suhoni56, October 09, 2014, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suhoni56

302 dial. Pretty rough.
Susan

TelePlay

I thought that was a 2-38 on the base. Coil confirms that. Nice phone.

Sargeguy

That is a pretty nice phone.  I would not re-paint as it is hard to achieve a nice original finish.  I would clean it then polish it up as is then re-assess if you need to repaint, touch up, or leave as is.  Check the phone restoration techniques section of the forum for tips.  The dial looks like it is in good shape but the fingerwheel should probably be repainted or replaced. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The candlestick looks like a typical American Western Electric dial candlestick from the photos, what it'd be doing in NZ is anyone's guess.  Are there any markings on it?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

suhoni56

markings on candlestick.
Susan

TelePlay

What is stamped on the dial finger stop on the side, where it is attached to the dial housing? Or is the finger stop attached inside the dial housing, on the candle sick, that is?

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice find! That 302 is a pretty early one, the year after that model was introduced. It looks very nice and complete with the #4 dial! Congrats!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

suhoni56

Thanks! I had a really good feeling about the 302!! I am glad you all have confirmed it !!

Here are pics of some marks on the candlestick that I found with the help of daylight; they are hopefully posted to show the left to right continuation. I see no marks on the fingerstop.
Susan

poplar1

Susan, the dial on the 51AL is a 4H. III 32 indicates it was manufactured in the third quarter of 1932.
Is the dial on the 302 marked 4H or 5H?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

suhoni56

I do not know where to look for the date or type of dial. Still learning.
Susan

tallguy58

On the back of the dial in orange ink.
Cheers........Bill

suhoni56

Oh well, the 302 has a 5H dial.... but hopefully still a good deal. I love it, so I guess that's all that matters! I guess it is all original since the dates match.

Do I want to try to change it to a #4 dial, or just keep it original?
Susan

poplar1

That's the correct dial for a 302 made in February 1938. Notice how much quieter it is than the 4H.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

A 5H dial is perfect for this phone. Nothing beats originality.
The use of 4H was transitional, probably based on short-term manufacturing bottlenecks, and was not the intended part.

tallguy58

Keep the 5H.

Nice original 302.
Cheers........Bill