Main Menu

Expensive WE 500 of questionable quality sold on eBay

Started by SUnset2, September 12, 2020, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

It looks a lot like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124275611614
It was so tempting.

Seller's description:  "THIS IS A CUSTOM ORDERED COLOR WITH MATCHING DIAL. THIS IS NOT DARK BROWN, MAHOGANY OR CHOCOLATE. THE CORDS ARE DARKER THAN THE PHONE. THE BASE CORD IS LONG 15" +/-. THE PHOTOS SHOW HOW OUTSTANDING THE CONDITION IS. IF IT WAS USED IT WAS NOT USED MUCH. THE ORIGINAL  PERSON THAT ORDERED THIS PHONE 59 YEARS AGO HAD TO HAVE PAID THE TELEPHONE COMPANY A GOOD PRICE FOR THIS SPECIAL ORDER COLOR. THIS HAS BEEN IN MY COLLECTION FOR MANY YEARS AND ITS NOW TIME FOR IT TO GO TO ANOTHER COLLECTOR. ITEM IS AS PICTURED"

Pourme

Perhaps this conversation could be put on it's own thread?

Did someone just pay $350 for a painted, pieced together WE500, or am I missing something, again?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Pourme on September 13, 2020, 07:08:37 AM
Perhaps this conversation could be put on it's own thread?

Did someone just pay $350 for a painted, pieced together WE500, or am I missing something, again?

You are not.
Jorge

TelePlay

Housing looks painted. Pictures added to the first topic post.

david@london

Interesting that it has an early, small font 'OPERATOR' back-painted number bezel.

Key2871

I have to agree it looks painted.
Nice job, but it looks painted.
KEN

SUnset2

Since the moderator decided to make my comment it's own thread, I will add that I thought the back-painted dial bezel is only found on factory custom jobs. And in the photos, the paint looks professionally done, and is in quite good condition.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: SUnset2 on September 13, 2020, 01:02:29 PM
Since the moderator decided to make my comment it's own thread, I will add that I thought the back-painted dial bezel is only found on factory custom jobs. And in the photos, the paint looks professionally done, and is in quite good condition.
I agree with this statement.
I think this is an official  custom order telephone.
JMO,
JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

SUnset2

Maybe I was out of line pointing out where this rare color phone came from, and if so, I apologise to its owner.  I think he is justified in being proud of having a unique phone. 

Pourme

~

The dial is 9/55 and the base is 8/'61. Cords are interesting. Case is painted, what date? Plungers are clear. I'll give you a special order spray paint color. Why the range of dates?

Also, isn't 53 the paint code? red? I could be wrong.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on September 13, 2020, 05:14:58 PM
Also, isn't 53 the paint code? red? I could be wrong.

The dial mechanism was originally on a 1955 Red phone but replaced with the brown bezel, not a rare event.

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Colors

That is not a "standard" or typical WE dark bezel with white lettering. Note that the back does not have the typical white plastic that would be the injection molded lettering (as shown in the black bezel image exemplar below).

On the back, the indented letters are seen in brown and on the front side, the lettering looks raised, rather than flat. Look at the CGDEF letters in the image below taken from the first post.

(Moderator Note:  This topic was split out of another topic to maintain content continuity of both topics at the good suggestion of Pourme)

Jim Stettler

that is a clear 'back painted' dial ring . this was an early style ring that was repurposed for custom sets.
they are pre injection molding.
  they came painted  in black or white letters. some clear sets have no color letters

If you have a painted set with a matching ring it was probably a custom order.
these  may of been created in the we refurb shops vs plant. they are legitimate sets and hard to find.

the matching 'back painted' dial  ring makes it real.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: Jim Stettler on September 14, 2020, 01:21:15 AM
that is a clear 'back painted' dial ring . this was an early style ring that was repurposed for custom sets.
they are pre injection molding.
  they came painted  in black or white letters. some clear sets have no color letters

If you have a painted set with a matching ring it was probably a custom order.
these  may of been created in the we refurb shops vs plant. they are legitimate sets and hard to find.

the matching 'back painted' dial  ring makes it real.
JMO,
Jim

Here are a couple close up pictures of my 1958 clear dial face plate for an example, this one has the white painted letters.

Key2871

Well yes its painted, and tbe job looks professional, but if it is indeed a custom color that would make it a very expensive phone, in my sight anyway.
KEN

19and41

Judging by the residue left on many many cleaning cloths from cleaning phones and radios of that period, I'd guess that color is "nicotine".
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke