News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1952 Handset Cord Oddball.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 18, 2010, 06:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Has anyone heard of a dual sized handset cord, if not how did it get like this ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

My guess would be that the former user of the phone liked to wind the cord around her/his finger while talking.  Thus, the curls near the handset are larger.  They probably had alot of long, boring phone meetings like I do.

Larry

AE_Collector

My guess would bbe that there was once a reversal where the change is now evident. The reversal was twisted out leaving the coils that used to be reversed now nice and tight where as the part that wasn't reversed are a bit stretched from use. The transition where the reversal used to be did disappear nicely though leaving that as a potential arguement with my theory.

You could reverse the whole cord now and the coils that are now tight will become loose and visa versa.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Could someone explain "reversing" I have heard it. I think I know what the concept is.

Decades ago I gave up on fixing cords (in frustration).
I would like to attempt it again if someone would like to address the subject, approaching it from square 1 and in simple terms.

I'm an "Old Dog", teach me a new trick,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on May 18, 2010, 10:51:40 PM
Could someone explain "reversing" I have heard it. I think I know what the concept is.

I would like to attempt it again if someone would like to address the subject, approaching it from square 1 and in simple terms.

Jim

Congrats Jim on Post #1000.

Start at one end of the cord, preferably with it unattached to handset or phone and twist the coil around so it goes the other way. Then you have put a reversal into it at that point. You now have to grab the next coil and do the same working the reversal all the way to the far end of the cord.

Any coils that were a bit stretched out will now be tight but you may find that some that were tight are now stretched out.

I think new coli cords are baked (or however they make them) and then reversed to make each coil real snug against the next rather than slightly seperated from the next.

When a reversal makes its way into a coil cord and is left there for a long time there isn't much chance of eventually getting the entire cord to look like new again unless it is heated up again (as far as I know).

Terry

paul-f

WE used to reverse the cords to extend their life.

I've had good luck hand winding stretched cords on a dowel and letting it sit for a few days or weeks (without the heat).  Use twist ties to hold the ends tight to the dowel.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Terry, Thanks for pointing out 1K. I guess I have been "chatty".
I kinda get the concep of reversalt. I think I need to try it out with the "black bag baking" concept. From your explanation I think the cords I tried needed to be baked back to original shape. I gave up on "cord theory" years ago. I will try it out this summer.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jim S. on May 18, 2010, 10:51:40 PM

Jim
Jim;
If you look at the technical section we have had extensive discussions on bringing cords back with almost 100% success. Even recoloring faded cords.
D/P

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=202.0

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2269.0

This one was 1 post above yours.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1190.0

Jim Stettler

Thanks Dan,
I guess I should pay more attention to the archives, Technically I am still "new" here, About 6 months, so I plead newbieness. :D

This forum is a better format than the list. we have an instant on line newsletter with a great archive system.

By we I mean you guys + me. :-X. I really like the forum.

Thanks for "being here",
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Jim;
It's not just you, believe me this forum is growing so fast I just click on unread posts because I can't keep up.
D/P