News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Raised Letter Transmitter Faceplate

Started by wds, November 15, 2014, 08:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Does anyone know what time period, or which models of phones this raised letter transmitter was used?  I don't see this transmitter in the 1901 or 1905 catalogs, but it must have been used somewhere.  I did find it in a picture of a triplet, but no date.
Dave

rdelius

Russ Kirk

Do the reproductions all have the same serial number?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Fabius

Quote from: rdelius on November 15, 2014, 10:20:28 AM
Watch out, these have been reproduced

Yes they have. This was a recent discussion on the ATCA list server. All the fakes have the same serial number. I'll try to track that number down.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dencins

The embossed transmitter was used on S-C Oilcans 1900-1905 per this site

http://www.phonemandave.net/stromberg.htm

Not sure what other phones it may have been used.

The reproduced face plate has number 762340 according to a post on the TCI forum from John Infurna.

Dennis Hallworth

wds

Great information.  I've seem pictures like the ones from Phonemandave with the raised letter transmitter, but I haven't seen any literature from S.C. showing any of the oil cans with that transmitter.  I wonder if people just added those transmitter because they look nice. 
Dave

Pourme

Is there a online data bank you can trace one of these serial numbers on? I have searched and can't locate one. Or info on what year production a particular number was used? My particular number has a "+" sign after the six digit number. What could that reference?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Stubbypylon

The 1901 catalog shows the earlier smaller indented letter transmitter on the first version of the oil can with the ball type perch.  There were three versions of the oil can.  As you noted the raised letter transmitter was shown in the 1905 catalog on a triplet.  It was also found on the Stromberg "Kansas City" stick.  The 1905 catalog also shows the later 7B transmitter that has no letters - only numbers.  So I would think that it would make sense to find the raised letter transmitter on the last version of the oil can.
Craig Stanowski

wds

Here is a SC ad for the Kansas City model showing the raised letter transmitter (4-A).  That makes two telephones that the raised letter transmitter can be traced back to.

I have several of these raised letter transmitters, but one of them looks like a very early version which came off of a wood wall phone.  Here are some pictures of the early version (left) and the more common version (right).  Notice on the earlier version the thicker faceplate.  Loosen the two screws on either side of the bridge and the entire assembly pops out.   Quite an unusual transmitter.
Dave

Pourme

Mine on my candlestick looks like your older one. (although the insides of mine is long gone) I assume the sr# is an indication of the age. I wish there was a data bank that would tell us something about the phone it was used on. I'm sure that's too much to ask of a 100+ year old company.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service