News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay Descriptives

Started by HarrySmith, May 23, 2011, 08:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

We all know sellers like to embellish thier titles and descriptions with flowery words and even occassionally make up thier own. I found this this morning:

Telephone company hat - phone cap - mintyish -LN
MINTYISH???
Does it taste minty?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

eBay is a virtual cornucopia of hashed English.  There is currently an auction in the phones category which is describing its item as VENTAGE.

I also love the constant misspellings of rotary (rotery, rotarty,etc.) and dial is frequently spelled dail.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Doug Rose

Eames Era .....Now that says it all!....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Why do people list as "bell systems"?
Bugs me
Robby

Dave F

Here are a couple of ROTATORY wall phones, in case you don't yet have any:

http://tinyurl.com/3dy6qt8

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave F on May 23, 2011, 01:45:59 PM
Here are a couple of ROTATORY wall phones, in case you don't yet have any:

http://tinyurl.com/3dy6qt8

Note: According to the seller, "Both show some ware, but not too bad for their age"
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Every once in a while someone will post a picture of an AE phone and call it Western Electric, or I have even seen a picture of a Western Electric called a General Electric.

-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 23, 2011, 03:02:24 PM
Every once in a while someone will post a picture of an AE phone and call it Western Electric, or I have even seen a picture of a Western Electric called a General Electric.

Better yet, you have those who post a Northern Electric Uniphone, and describe it as a North Electric! 'Nuther pet peeve!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

JorgeAmely

"Fresh from the barn"  rings a bell too (no pun intended).
Jorge

Ed D

Or "American Electric" instead of "Automatic Electric."

Doug Rose

Quote from: Ed D on May 23, 2011, 11:17:35 PM
Or "American Electric" instead of "Automatic Electric."

American Electric is a real Telephone Company, predecessor to Automatic Electric. You will see some 1As with their Monophone name plate...Doug
Kidphone

K1WI

Selfishly , I think it is great. Shouldn't give away secrets ..... but over the years I 've gotten some super buys on e-bay due to poor spelling , wrong catagories ,etc.  Recently I won a BLUE 500p at the opening price , it was listed as a  " NITELITEPHONE" all one word. ,with a very poor picture , in an unrelated catagory. Guess I was the only one that saw it !
     So have fun searching , there are some real "doozies" out there.
   Andy     (K1WI)

MDK

I know what you mean. I used to find good deals on saxophones by searching the misspelling, "saxaphone" or "saxiphone". Smart sellers are including multiple spellings in their listings.

Willytx

I picked up a North Electric 540 that was listed as a "Northern Electric phone". There weren't any other bidders! Nice

jsowers

Quote from: K1WI on May 24, 2011, 12:05:53 PM
      Selfishly , I think it is great. Shouldn't give away secrets ..... but over the years I 've gotten some super buys on e-bay due to poor spelling , wrong catagories ,etc.  Recently I won a BLUE 500p at the opening price , it was listed as a  " NITELITEPHONE" all one word. ,with a very poor picture , in an unrelated catagory. Guess I was the only one that saw it !
     So have fun searching , there are some real "doozies" out there.
   Andy     (K1WI)

That 500P is a real doozie! Andy, please start a new thread in Auction Talk with a picture or two and a story about finding it, with a link to the auction. I think we'd all like to see it. That's a rare phone and eligible for Find of the Month if you got it on the cheap, which may be the case. Was it aqua blue or dark (Mediterranean) blue? Either way you got a rare phone there. Congratulations!

Now about misspellings, yes sellers can be their own worst enemy. It's also hard to get them to ID the exact color of the phone, since they don't know the colors. I know I've seen at least 20 different spellings of "avocado green." Last week I saw "alvacoddo" and regularly see "avacodo" and "avacado." I should have kept a list.
Jonathan