"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Did I pay too much??

Started by Bill Cahill, September 26, 2009, 05:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

;D For these? Eat your heart out, Dan Panther!  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140347072425&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
( dead link 08-04-21 )

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Bill;
That numberless phone is interesting. Someone else, may have more information, I think it's a rural phone.
How were you able to pull that deal off.
That is the kind of deal that makes it all worth it.

I thought you were sick, stay off Ebay.....
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill Cahill

Of course, seriously, I hope you weren't the other bidder.
Bill Cahill  :o

Dennis Markham

I don't know about the "rural" aspect.  It's pretty new but again, I'm not sure how long the phone companies were putting out "rural" dials.  It doesn't look like a 50's type phone, with the round feet, and what appears to be a #9 dial.  I have seen these type dial bezels for hotels/motels, maybe hospitals or schools or something like that where letters weren't needed.   Just a guess though.  Anyone else?

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
I didn't think of that aspect/angle. Being thay are all the same color, I'm sure you are right.

Bill;
Since they are not extremely rare, maybe you should just send them to me.
D/P

bingster

I think they're all ITT (you can JUST make it out on a few of them).  They appear to have been installed all at the same time, given the color and the marker numbers.  That may help to explain the numbers-only oddity.  Still, they all appear to be hardwired, and with some cleanup and testing, you may wind up with some very nice phones that you could resell for extra money.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

You paid a dollar and four cents?!

And only 20 for shipping that heavy lot?!

You scarin' me man. ;)

Great deal!

Greg G.

Quote from: Bill Cahill on September 26, 2009, 06:04:57 PM
Of course, seriously, I hope you weren't the other bidder.
Bill Cahill  :o

Nope, didn't even know about them, not sure I even would have bid on them (don't really like most wall phones).  That's going to be my new response to people who find steals, like Bwanna's "twins".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on September 27, 2009, 01:29:47 AM
You paid a dollar and four cents?!

And only 20 for shipping that heavy lot?!

You scarin' me man. ;)

Great deal!

Yeah, that's about $2.85 per phone.  Even the shipping was a bargain, especially since it was an ebay buy.  That's the one thing that nearly always prevents me from buying on ebay.  Often I find a phone I like for a good price, but the shipping cost kills it.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Amazing deal, Bill!

Quote from: Brinybay
That's the one thing that nearly always prevents me from buying on ebay.  Often I find a phone I like for a good price, but the shipping cost kills it.

Yeah, now that I've taken a good look at shipping, since I want to start selling phones on Ebay, it's hard to keep it under $15. for USPS flat rate, factoring in bubble-wrap etc., unless anyone here has suggestions on a less expensive shipping method. It just seems like USPS flat rate is the way to go though, as the mailman is here six days a week, and the USPS boxes are free (I use 12" x 12" x 5.5" boxes) and the label printing software is easy to use.
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Flat rate seems to be the safest, cheapest, and quickest way to ship phones.
D/P

bingster

When I ship for ebay, I always use USPS priority flat rate.  Like Matt says, the shipping supplies (boxes, labels, etc.) are free, and it's just a super easy thing to do.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I use USPS Priority Mail 99% of the time too.  I have shipped many 500's in the small Flat Rate "cube" as they call them but I feel much more comfortable shipping in the larger box that is deeper.  It costs a few bucks more but for those few dollars I get a little more peace of mind knowing I can put more insulation around the phone.  For shipments close to home the larger box is cheaper than the flat rate boxes.

I like that I can go on-line to www.usps.com, order the boxes (in quantity of 25) and a few days later they're on my front porch.  I have received phones that the seller shipped UPS using a Priority box turned inside-out.  I'm told it is a Federal Offense to do that.  Now I see the Postal Service has printed the words Priority Mail on the inside of the latest boxes.  Considering the fact that the Postal Service is going broke I won't be surprised to see the end of the "free" boxes.  Sometimes boxes received still look like new so I break them down and save them for future use.