News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1941 Ivory 302 - looks like a contest possibility

Started by baldopeacock, November 19, 2010, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

ETS....thank you very much...a great history lesson on a not so well known finger wheel. I do appreciate it....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

Wonder what the BSP documentation would show on this early fingerwheel and the transition to the more-familiar version?   Maybe there was a recommended method of installing the number cards without damage.

deedubya3800

I'm glad mine has a brushed metal fingerwheel. I finally took it off today to clean it and was pleased to find that even my dial plate is original. It's in really good shape, as is everything on this phone.

ETS1979

Here's an interesting comparison.  The handset in this photo is from the Ivory '41 shown above.  The rest of the phone is a very late (1954) Ivory with #6 dial.  Both phones have almost no discoloration.  It appears that the prewar Ivories were slightly darker than the later one's....The two dial plates in the photo next to the phone are same dated celluloid plates (II '35).  Part of my original condition 1950's bar is also visible.

ETS1979

I ran accross something the other day while scratching my head trying to figure out what would be an appropriate dial card for this unique thick fingerwheel setup with the insert slot on the top rather that at 3 o'clock like most other WE phones. I have no idea what I took this off of, but I found this card in my collection. It appears to be the correct diameter and has the tab on top.  Is it possibly the correct mask for this application?  Or is it possibly made for a non WE product?  Anyone have any comments on this?

Vern P

Yes the mask is correct for the colored set's. They were made in all colors, also there is 2 types. One with a small hole (like this one) and one with a bigger hole, looks like it would take 2 lines of info. (no is does not, but just for size info).

I think the smaller one was used with numbers only  (3-4567), the biger one was used with a name (HUnter5-6798).

Vern P

PS I have 2 Ivory 302, will trade for an Ivory 1554.