News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent subset purchase

Started by GTElover, December 29, 2011, 11:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTElover

Hello everybody, hope you all had a great Christmas.  I recently purchased this subset from eBay to use on a Western Electric 102 (D1) the subset on closer inspection doesn't have any Network inside.  Does the above phone require this network to function properly.  All that's in this subset is the Ringer, the gongs, a terminal strip (5x screw terminals) and a capacitor.  If it will work as it is that's fine but if it don't I have a 302 network to squeeze in somewhere.  Attached picture is of the actual subset.

LarryInMichigan

That looks like an external ringer, not a subset.  A subset would have an inductor coil and usually another pair of capacitor leads.

A WE 102 or 202 requires a network.  There are ways to improvise, such as installing a mini network into the phone or using a WE 302 base as a subset.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Larry is correct.

That is not a subset, but an external ringer. 

For the D1 with 4 leads coming out of the phone, you would need a subset that allows the phone to be wired as antisidetone, or in other words as a 202.

For that you would need a 634 subset or 684 subset or use a junker 302 base as a subset like Larry mentioned.
-Bill G

dsk

You could probably use an old UK phone too, if the phone loose the dial tone when the transmitter capsule is removed, it should probably work.

dsk

TelePlay

Got a tough shape 302. As many have done, I threw away the cracked shell with the missing ear and way to many scratches, kept the sticky dial and turned the base into a subset for my 202 D1. Here's the before (filled with bugs and larvae) and after photos before addding the 4 conductor mounting cord. Still waiting for the cover.