News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

More than I could have expected!!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 11, 2016, 05:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I recently bought a lot of phone parts on eBay for $29.99 on eBay. I was interested in these G1 handsets that had straight cords, to use on my 565 multilines.

I took them apart when they arrived a couple days ago, and I was shocked when I disassembled the first handset I pulled out of the box; it's dated 1950!! It seems like the elements, caps, and cord are all the same; receiver element is dated January 1950, transmitter element and caps don't have dates (caps are consistent with '50 caps I've seen in the past). The cord had the restraint lopped off at one point, so I have no way of knowing the date.

The second handset I pulled out was early as well, but maybe just a touch earlier than the previous one...

1949!!!!!

The handle says either May or June of that year, but either way, it's early!!!!

The handle is stamped G1, so maybe production run? A field trial would have a D number, right?

The handsets are dirty but seem to be in great shape. Should I try polishing on the buffing wheel, or just give them a light cleaning? Both handset cords are in need of new restraints, and the rubber conductor jackets are starting to disintegrate. How can I repair that, if at all?

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

The 1950:
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

The 1949:
Christian Petterson

poplar1

That's quite a find! Just getting 2 cords, even with missing restraints, was already a good start, even if they had been 1957.

Do you think the stickers with numbers on them might have been for some kind of research?

What kind of phones were they on? Can you provide the ebay link? Some of the BellLabs/Western Electric employees have been known to save some early parts. Just wondering if this seller lives close to one of the Labs/WE locations.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kenton K

Doug Rose

Christian....amazing. You have done it again. Would you post the auction number please. Congrats....tremendous find(S)....Doug
Kidphone

JimH

Excellent find, Christian!  You took a chance, and it paid off!  Those parts are worth more than you paid even if they weren't so rare!  Congratulations.
Jim H.

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 11, 2016, 06:29:37 PM
Christian....amazing. You have done it again. Would you post the auction number please. Congrats....tremendous find(S)....Doug

Doug,

Appears to be this eBay auction. If so, it flew under the radar for 7 days with no bids. Lot of nice stuff in that grab bag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-telephone-lot-hand-sets-and-more-DATA-PHONE-PARTS-/282195543877

Doug Rose

Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks everyone!

Yep, that's the auction. Thanks John!

I actually figured the handsets would be 1953-1957 vintage, but turned out to be earlier! One of the other handsets in the lot is dated 1954, which I can use with my early 510 (and swap out the 1956 handset I installed on it, use the '56 on one of my 565s)!

Another of the handsets turned out to be a nice 732A, which was probably used with the Dataphone parts. Maybe whoever had these parts used the handsets as part of an Intercom or 2-way system?

Does anyone know if the Dataphone parts are worth anything?
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Listing says, "Found in Bell Labs surplus Lot."
Seller is in Bound Brook, NJ.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Well Dan.....a lil dab will do ya!  My Dad used Brylcreem for years. Not sure why I am slick, but I have been called worse.....Slick
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 12, 2016, 02:15:40 PM
Well Dan.....a lil dab will do ya!  My Dad used Brylcreem for years. Not sure why I am slick, but I have been called worse.....Slick
TheSlickKid!

:D
Christian Petterson