News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best Oil/Lubricant? for dial.

Started by HowardPgh, November 09, 2012, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

Any recommends for a good oil for the dial. At present, I am using Hoppes Gun Oil and it seems to work OK. I was using a DuPont lubricant with silicone but it seemed too messy and uncontrollable. Anything better or am I OK with this.

Howard

( A compilation (list) of oils suggested by members can be found in this reply: )

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7899.msg124966#msg124966
Howard

DavePEI

Quote from: HowardPgh on November 09, 2012, 10:50:49 AM
Any recommends for a good oil for the dial.
At present, I am using Hoppes Gun Oil and it seems to work OK.
I was using a DuPont lubricant with silicone but it seemed too messy and uncontrollable.
Anything better or am I OK with this.
Howard

I use "Moebius 941 / 2 Synthetic Watch Oil" or Radio Shack's "Precision oiler with Teflon®", a teflon/fluon mix complete with a precision pen-oiler. Neither will thicken up or gum up over time.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Marvel Mystery Oil. Work like a champ. I have used it on dials for over 30 years. ...Doug
Kidphone

BDM

I like Dave's idea (watch oil). Also CLP is excellent, I've used it for 20+ years. A little goes a LONG way. I use needles to apply it to critical areas that only require a micro spec of oil :)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Phonesrfun

I use 90 weight differential oil, but they seem to run slow.

**Just kidding**   :)

I think the watch oil is a good idea.  I have used light weight machine oil from my wife's sewing machine, and that seems to be good too.
-Bill G

Dave F

Another good candidate is Wahl Hair Clipper oil.  It does not evaporate easily or get gummy.  You can use it on mechanical clock mechanisms, etc.  In fact, I would bet it's the same stuff sold as clock oil, but at a lower cost.  A 4 oz bottle (from eBay) is inexpensive and will probably last a lifetime.

DF

dsk

Hoppes no 9 lubricating oil.

dsk

Contempra

That's what i use for my phones since a year and at this time i have no problem.don't forget we lubricate gears and sewing oïl is also for gears on a sewing machine. :)

Note: Sorry, when I replied to your post, I accidentally clicked on modify instead of reply - I think I have it back as it was... D.

tallguy58

That's 3 for sewing machine oil. Just the right viscosity.
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on April 21, 2014, 05:26:07 PM

That's what i use for my phones since a year and at this time i have no problem.don't forget we lubricate gears and sewing oïl is also for gears on a sewing machine. :)
That is why I avoid the use of sewing machine oul. Compare the size of gears in a sewing machine to those in a dial. Automobile gear cases also have gears, but because tolerances are looser, a much heavier weight of oil is needed for them. They are much larger and are motor driven.

Also, if you open an old sewing machine, the build-up of dust is on the spots which have been oiled. Sewing machine oil is better than a lot of oils, but does dry out and collect dust. It is not the correct viscosity but close enough for the short term.

Watch oil is formulated for smaller gears with tighter tolerances, and is formulated not to collect dust. While a dial will work for a year or two without re-cleaning, watch oil will last for years.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Dave, I can tell you i have no troubles with this oïl ...I had and have yet an old rotary which i lubed with this oïl and it's not dry at all..it is lubricated since 9 years ago now and no need to be lubricated.. :) my oïl is ( huile blanche ) I don't know how to translate it but the oïl is clear like water. Anyway I use it also to lube clocks but not watches ;)

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on April 21, 2014, 06:09:50 PM
Dave, I can tell you i have no troubles with this oïl ...I had and have yet an old rotary which i lubed with this oïl and it's not dry at all..it is lubricated since 9 years ago now and no need to be lubricated.. :) my oïl is ( huile blanche ) I don't know how to translate it but the oïl is clear like water. Anyway I use it also to lube clocks but not watches ;)
Ahhh, therin lies the difference. huile blanche is white mineral oil, not the same as what is often sold as sewing machine oil here. In fact, it is often used for clocks, which makes it a lot more suitable than, for example, some standard sewing machine oils or a 3-in-One oil (paraffin base).

Personally, I will stick with clock or watch oil, as I have used it many years, and never had a problem with it. It costs more, but is sure to work.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

oh !.. In that case I have a good oïl...I have two pints so it will last a long time. Yes Watch oïl is probably better than my oïl but when something is given, I can't refuse it :)..

DavePEI

Can't blame you, Denis!

Things that are free in life come seldom, and when they do what you need are even better!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

JorgeAmely

3 in 1. Works fine all the time.
Jorge